Re: [midatlanticretro] Baltimore

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
      On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

      I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
      only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
      back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

      On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
      exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
      I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
      inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
      Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

      I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
      and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
      sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
      my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

      It was -awesome-.

      I really should release that code.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
        I really wish that I wasn't out of town (in Maine, no less!).  I hope that you have a great time, Mike!

        - Alex

        On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

        I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
        only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
        back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

        On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
        exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
        I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
        inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
        Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

        I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
        and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
        sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
        my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

        It was -awesome-.

        I really should release that code.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
          I was going to try to make this, but I don't think I can.
          Just north of Baltimore, Saturday morning:

          http://baltimore.craigslist.org/gms/4019632291.html

          Not sure anything along our lines will be there, but a couple of
          the pictures on the linked site:

          http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/489156.aspx

          look interesting, especially picture 65, a wall of little plastic
          drawers.

          Bill S.
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
            There is also a TI-99 and Bally Computer System in Joppa:

            http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/487875.aspx

            Which is sort of north of Baltimore.

            Bill S.