Re: [midatlanticretro] Baltimore

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
      Boris Peters, I've known him for 23 years. Please give him my best if you go there.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA

      On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:37 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:
      >> I'm going to be in Baltimore, tomorrow. Anyone have any vintage stuff
      >> to get rid of? :-)
      >
      > If you could get a tour of B.P.A.I. in Baltimore... it's this warehouse of
      > surplus stuff that they sell on ebay. I don't know whats in there but it
      > has to be interesting.

    • telmnstr
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
        > Boris Peters, I've known him for 23 years. Please give him my best if
        > you go there.
        > -Dave

        Just bought a 40 watt 532nm YAG laser from him/one of his associates not
        too long ago. He's doing fine as far as I can tell!

        - Ethan
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
          On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, B Degnan wrote:

          > In Baltimore area? Visit the system source collection of vintage
          > computers in hunt valley just north of baltimore. A huge display of a
          > wide variety of vintage computing. System source is a consulting and
          > training co with a collection in and throughout the office building.
          > One of largest public exhibits on east coast. Private collection.

          Ah yes, I forgot about him. Bob Roswell - he visited at VCF East 7.0.
          He asked if could reprint two of my Osborne posters for his display, and I
          emailed them to him. It's right on my way back home.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
            I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade) and
            the National Electronics Museum (in Linthicum). And of course, see if
            Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. can meet you for drinks.
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
              On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade) and
              > the National Electronics Museum (in Linthicum). And of course, see if
              > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. can meet you for drinks.

              I was at the National Electronics Museum this Spring for the flea
              market, and ran into Gewwswien, Sudbrink and Jacocks. :-) I'll have to
              catch Ft. Meade some other time - I want to be north of Baltimore before
              rush hour.

              Darn - just got an automated response from Bob Roswell. He's on a
              camping trip and won't be back until Monday.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22, 2013
                On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

                I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
                only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
                back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

                On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
                exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
                I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
                inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
                Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

                I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
                and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
                sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
                my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

                It was -awesome-.

                I really should release that code.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • J. Alexander Jacocks
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
                  I really wish that I wasn't out of town (in Maine, no less!).  I hope that you have a great time, Mike!

                  - Alex

                  On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                  On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

                  I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
                  only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
                  back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

                  On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
                  exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
                  I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
                  inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
                  Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

                  I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
                  and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
                  sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
                  my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

                  It was -awesome-.

                  I really should release that code.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA

                • Bill Sudbrink
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
                    I was going to try to make this, but I don't think I can.
                    Just north of Baltimore, Saturday morning:

                    http://baltimore.craigslist.org/gms/4019632291.html

                    Not sure anything along our lines will be there, but a couple of
                    the pictures on the linked site:

                    http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/489156.aspx

                    look interesting, especially picture 65, a wall of little plastic
                    drawers.

                    Bill S.
                  • Bill Sudbrink
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23, 2013
                      There is also a TI-99 and Bally Computer System in Joppa:

                      http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/487875.aspx

                      Which is sort of north of Baltimore.

                      Bill S.