Re: [midatlanticretro] Baltimore

  • telmnstr
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22 4:37 PM
      > I'm going to be in Baltimore, tomorrow. Anyone have any vintage stuff
      > to get rid of? :-)

      If you could get a tour of B.P.A.I. in Baltimore... it's this warehouse of
      surplus stuff that they sell on ebay. I don't know whats in there but it
      has to be interesting.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 22 5:42 PM
        In Baltimore area? Visit the system source collection of vintage computers in hunt valley just north of baltimore. A huge display of a wide variety of vintage computing. System source is a consulting and training co with a collection in and throughout the office building. One of largest public exhibits on east coast. Private collection.
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22 6:05 PM
          >> One of largest public exhibits on east coast.

          I wouldn't call that a "public" exhibit, when it's owned by one person and located among his company's cubicles.
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 22 7:03 PM
            Boris Peters, I've known him for 23 years. Please give him my best if you go there.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA

            On Aug 22, 2013, at 7:37 PM, telmnstr@... wrote:
            >> I'm going to be in Baltimore, tomorrow. Anyone have any vintage stuff
            >> to get rid of? :-)
            >
            > If you could get a tour of B.P.A.I. in Baltimore... it's this warehouse of
            > surplus stuff that they sell on ebay. I don't know whats in there but it
            > has to be interesting.

          • telmnstr
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 22 7:16 PM
              > Boris Peters, I've known him for 23 years. Please give him my best if
              > you go there.
              > -Dave

              Just bought a 40 watt 532nm YAG laser from him/one of his associates not
              too long ago. He's doing fine as far as I can tell!

              - Ethan
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22 7:16 PM
                On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, B Degnan wrote:

                > In Baltimore area? Visit the system source collection of vintage
                > computers in hunt valley just north of baltimore. A huge display of a
                > wide variety of vintage computing. System source is a consulting and
                > training co with a collection in and throughout the office building.
                > One of largest public exhibits on east coast. Private collection.

                Ah yes, I forgot about him. Bob Roswell - he visited at VCF East 7.0.
                He asked if could reprint two of my Osborne posters for his display, and I
                emailed them to him. It's right on my way back home.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 22 7:18 PM
                  I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade) and
                  the National Electronics Museum (in Linthicum). And of course, see if
                  Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. can meet you for drinks.
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 22 7:24 PM
                    On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                    > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade) and
                    > the National Electronics Museum (in Linthicum). And of course, see if
                    > Gesswein, Sudbrink, etc. can meet you for drinks.

                    I was at the National Electronics Museum this Spring for the flea
                    market, and ran into Gewwswien, Sudbrink and Jacocks. :-) I'll have to
                    catch Ft. Meade some other time - I want to be north of Baltimore before
                    rush hour.

                    Darn - just got an automated response from Bob Roswell. He's on a
                    camping trip and won't be back until Monday.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 22 9:11 PM
                      On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

                      I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
                      only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
                      back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

                      On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
                      exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
                      I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
                      inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
                      Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

                      I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
                      and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
                      sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
                      my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

                      It was -awesome-.

                      I really should release that code.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • J. Alexander Jacocks
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 23 7:04 AM
                        I really wish that I wasn't out of town (in Maine, no less!).  I hope that you have a great time, Mike!

                        - Alex

                        On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                        On 08/22/2013 10:18 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > I recommend visiting the National Cryptologic Museum (at Ft. Meade)

                        I second this recommendation. I've been there many times, but stupidly
                        only after I moved away...it was 15mins from where I used to live. I was
                        back in that area frequently on business after I moved to FL, though.

                        On one visit there many years ago, they had just finished the Enigma
                        exhibit, and there was an Enigma machine set up for actual use by visitors.
                        I played with it for awhile (I know the machine pretty well) and was so
                        inspired that I went back to my hotel room and wrote an implementation of the
                        Enigma algorithm in C, wholly command-line driven.

                        I went back to the museum the next day with my laptop, spoke with a curator
                        and explained what I'd done. She and I then spent about an hour and a half
                        sending messages back and forth between my Enigma algorithm implementation on
                        my laptop and a real honest-to-goodness Enigma machine.

                        It was -awesome-.

                        I really should release that code.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA

                      • Bill Sudbrink
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 23 1:46 PM
                          I was going to try to make this, but I don't think I can.
                          Just north of Baltimore, Saturday morning:

                          http://baltimore.craigslist.org/gms/4019632291.html

                          Not sure anything along our lines will be there, but a couple of
                          the pictures on the linked site:

                          http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/489156.aspx

                          look interesting, especially picture 65, a wall of little plastic
                          drawers.

                          Bill S.
                        • Bill Sudbrink
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 23 2:35 PM
                            There is also a TI-99 and Bally Computer System in Joppa:

                            http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/487875.aspx

                            Which is sort of north of Baltimore.

                            Bill S.