Re: my new vintage toy

  • David
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
      Just the front control panel, I am going to replace it's brain with a Raspberry PI running Hercules VM/370. The Raspberry PI has many times the compute power, than the old mainframes.

      I have created an album to record the restoration.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Cory Smelosky" <b4@...> wrote:

      > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, David Keith wrote:
      >
      > > Got my Vintage IBM 370/145 Control Panel today. It is not in too bad of shape considering it is about 40 years old.  I placed a IBM 370/158 header plate on top just for show, don't have a 145 header plate. :-( If there is anyone with a 145 header that would like to trade or sell please let me know.  I see what was done with the Christmas lights, and it will be very hard to repair the light sockets.  They cut the light socket in half, and took the lens off of the light blubs and glued them on the front, then stuck Christmas lights in the back side.  I have some light sockets and blubs, but not 150 (36X4 + 6) of them. I going to have to think about a compromise. I have to use incandescent light blubs because they did not use LEDs on the original. I have designed a circuit board(s) to drive the incandescent lights individually from a Raspberry Pi.
      > ??
      >
      > I want pictures! :)
      >
      > > Going have fun this winter :-) restoring my Altair 8800 and my Mainframe (I was a Systems Programmer on a IBM System 370/145, 148, 158)
      >
      > Do you have a mainframe or just the panel?
      >

      > > David Keith
      > >

      > --
      > Cory Smelosky
      > http://gewt.net Personal stuff
      > http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects

    • David Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
        Saw this seller on eBay, he has two card sorters that need a lot of restoration, but a good price :-$ for now at least

        http://www.ebay.com/sch/guardianrob453/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

        Too old for my interest, but maybe someone in the group may give it a go

        -- David Keith