Re: Fixing TRS-80 Model III Computer

  • Al Hartman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
      After consulting with a few people on the Vintage Computer list, I decided
      I'm going to remove the connectors for the flat cable, and install 4 single
      row pin headers and use two cut down IDE cables (using only one row of the
      female on each end to replace them.

      After beating my head against the wall at Mouser and Digi-Key, and finding
      another place that had them had a $14.00 minimum order (I just placed an
      order with them last week.) I thought to check eBay, and got 10 pcs of a 40
      pin breakaway header for $3.89 with shipping. So, I'm in business.

      Someone sent me a RAM test program, so I'm set there (though I have Super
      Utility which also has one). I need to repair the door on the upper drive,
      and assuming the RAM and Serial board both work, the Model III will be on
      it's feet.

      In parallel, I'll get my C64c reassembled, and tackle the JiffyDOS ROMs in
      my 1541 drives.

      After that, back to getting a working E/I for my "new" Model I. And then,
      getting my original Model I working.

      Al
    • DougCrawford
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013