Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Fixing TRS-80 Model III Computer

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
      On 08/16/2013 10:00 PM, Al Hartman wrote:
      > After removing all the RAM, cleaning the oxidation off the pins, and
      > replacing one chip with a broken pin. The Model III now boots into BASIC.

      Excellent! Congrats!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Al Hartman
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013
        After consulting with a few people on the Vintage Computer list, I decided
        I'm going to remove the connectors for the flat cable, and install 4 single
        row pin headers and use two cut down IDE cables (using only one row of the
        female on each end to replace them.

        After beating my head against the wall at Mouser and Digi-Key, and finding
        another place that had them had a $14.00 minimum order (I just placed an
        order with them last week.) I thought to check eBay, and got 10 pcs of a 40
        pin breakaway header for $3.89 with shipping. So, I'm in business.

        Someone sent me a RAM test program, so I'm set there (though I have Super
        Utility which also has one). I need to repair the door on the upper drive,
        and assuming the RAM and Serial board both work, the Model III will be on
        it's feet.

        In parallel, I'll get my C64c reassembled, and tackle the JiffyDOS ROMs in
        my 1541 drives.

        After that, back to getting a working E/I for my "new" Model I. And then,
        getting my original Model I working.

        Al
      • DougCrawford
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2013