Re: [midatlanticretro] my new vintage toy

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 16 10:56 AM
      On 08/15/2013 09:48 PM, David Keith wrote:
      > I found this on eBay and I just could not help myself :-) Actually it
      > is an IBM 370/145 Control Panel
      >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-360-mainframe-COMPUTER-control-panel-faceplate-CUSTOM-LIGHTS-/261261607642
      >
      > My plan is to restore it to a functional state, add an original name
      > plate (all I have is a IBM 370/158 name plate) and connect it to a
      > Raspberry Pi running Hercules System 370 emulator.
      >
      > http://www.hercules-390.eu/
      >
      > If I get it working by VCF this year I will bring it for display.

      I saw that on eBay. I nearly cried when I read about the "Christmas
      lights" modification. I'm glad it went to a good home.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Keith
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 16 4:29 PM
        Me too, but I can rebuild it have the technology it.  I do have original IBM parts to fully restore it to a functional front panel.  Just hate to tell you where I got them from :-(

        David Keith

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 20 4:57 PM
          Got my Vintage IBM 370/145 Control Panel today. It is not in too bad of shape considering it is about 40 years old.  I placed a IBM 370/158 header plate on top just for show, don't have a 145 header plate. :-( If there is anyone with a 145 header that would like to trade or sell please let me know.  I see what was done with the Christmas lights, and it will be very hard to repair the light sockets.  They cut the light socket in half, and took the lens off of the light blubs and glued them on the front, then stuck Christmas lights in the back side.  I have some light sockets and blubs, but not 150 (36X4 + 6) of them. I going to have to think about a compromise. I have to use incandescent light blubs because they did not use LEDs on the original. I have designed a circuit board(s) to drive the incandescent lights individually from a Raspberry Pi.

          Going have fun this winter :-) restoring my Altair 8800 and my Mainframe (I was a Systems Programmer on a IBM System 370/145, 148, 158)

          David Keith

          On 08/15/2013 09:48 PM, David Keith wrote:
          > I found this on eBay and I just could not help myself :-) Actually it
          > is an IBM 370/145 Control Panel
          >
          > http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-360-mainframe-COMPUTER-control-panel-faceplate-CUSTOM-LIGHTS-/261261607642
          >
          > My plan is to restore it to a functional state, add an original name
          > plate (all I have is a IBM 370/158 name plate) and connect it to a
          > Raspberry Pi running Hercules System 370 emulator.
          >
          > http://www.hercules-390.eu/
          >
          > If I get it working by VCF this year I will bring it for display.

          I saw that on eBay. I nearly cried when I read about the "Christmas
          lights" modification. I'm glad it went to a good home.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA

        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 20 5:06 PM
            On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, David Keith wrote:

            > Got my Vintage IBM 370/145 Control Panel today. It is not in too bad of shape considering it is about 40 years old.  I placed a IBM 370/158 header plate on top just for show, don't have a 145 header plate. :-( If there is anyone with a 145 header that would like to trade or sell please let me know.  I see what was done with the Christmas lights, and it will be very hard to repair the light sockets.  They cut the light socket in half, and took the lens off of the light blubs and glued them on the front, then stuck Christmas lights in the back side.  I have some light sockets and blubs, but not 150 (36X4 + 6) of them. I going to have to think about a compromise. I have to use incandescent light blubs because they did not use LEDs on the original. I have designed a circuit board(s) to drive the incandescent lights individually from a Raspberry Pi.
            ??

            I want pictures! :)

            > Going have fun this winter :-) restoring my Altair 8800 and my Mainframe (I was a Systems Programmer on a IBM System 370/145, 148, 158)

            Do you have a mainframe or just the panel?

            --
            Cory Smelosky
            http://gewt.net Personal stuff
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 20 6:00 PM
              Just the front control panel, I am going to replace it's brain with a Raspberry PI running Hercules VM/370. The Raspberry PI has many times the compute power, than the old mainframes.

              I have created an album to record the restoration.

              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 27 8:22 PM
                Saw this seller on eBay, he has two card sorters that need a lot of restoration, but a good price :-$ for now at least

                http://www.ebay.com/sch/guardianrob453/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

                Too old for my interest, but maybe someone in the group may give it a go

                -- David Keith