Re: [midatlanticretro] TK50?

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
      On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
      > Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
      > borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
      > on TK50 to TU81.

      I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
      as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
      constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
      leaving my sight. ;)

      At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
      Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
      slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)

      > I _might_ be able to recompile the driver but who knows if it'll trip
      > over something unforseen.

      That'd be your best bet.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

        >On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
        >> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
        >> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
        >> on TK50 to TU81.
        >
        > I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
        >as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
        >constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
        >leaving my sight. ;)

        Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
          On 08/13/2013 06:01 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          >>> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
          >>> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
          >>> on TK50 to TU81.
          >>
          >> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
          >> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
          >> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
          >> leaving my sight. ;)
          >
          > Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?

          Drive; he already has a controller.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
            Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

            >>> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
            >>> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
            >>> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
            >>> leaving my sight. ;)
            >>
            >> Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?
            >
            > Drive; he already has a controller.

            I can't imagine the driver being that particular about the transport.

            I have myriad TK50 transports but IIRC most of them sport a SCSI interface.

            I'll have to take a look.

            There *IS* a TK50 in the MicroVAX-II at InfoAge. However, I'd request that
            it not be mucked with unless I'm there. That MicroVAX-II was the property
            of Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella and the d|i|g|i|t|a|l museum that used
            to be in MRO (Marlborough, MA). There must be a TK50 somewhere in all the
            kit that's being stockpiled at InfoAge too.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
              On 08/13/2013 06:09 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

              >>> Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?
              >>
              >> Drive; he already has a controller.
              >
              > I can't imagine the driver being that particular about the transport.

              In this case it is; it's hard-coded to look for TU80 and TK50 device IDs.

              > I have myriad TK50 transports but IIRC most of them sport a SCSI interface.

              Figures you'd have more of the rare ones. ;)

              > I'll have to take a look.
              >
              > There *IS* a TK50 in the MicroVAX-II at InfoAge. However, I'd request that
              > it not be mucked with unless I'm there. That MicroVAX-II was the property
              > of Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella and the d|i|g|i|t|a|l museum that used
              > to be in MRO (Marlborough, MA). There must be a TK50 somewhere in all the
              > kit that's being stockpiled at InfoAge too.

              I'm sure there is.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
                On 13/08/2013 22:47, Dave McGuire wrote:
                > On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
                >> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
                >> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
                >> on TK50 to TU81.
                > I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
                > as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
                > constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
                > leaving my sight. ;)
                >
                > At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
                > Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
                > slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)

                Lots of folks used to carry these as spares, I wonder if any one has any
                hidden away in a drawer or spares bin....

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
                  On 08/13/2013 06:52 PM, Dave wrote:
                  >>> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
                  >>> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
                  >>> on TK50 to TU81.
                  >> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
                  >> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
                  >> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
                  >> leaving my sight. ;)
                  >>
                  >> At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
                  >> Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
                  >> slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)
                  >
                  > Lots of folks used to carry these as spares, I wonder if any one has any
                  > hidden away in a drawer or spares bin....

                  One can hope. They're practically consumables. I bought a pile of
                  them from DEC when they were still selling them, but they're all gone.
                  I wish I'd bought more at the time.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • tedheadster
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
                    Okay, confirmed that my TK70 is on the fritz, and the hard coded Ultrix-11 requirement for TK50 isn't helping any either. The previous owner wrote on the drive 'broken' with sharpie, so I'm amazed that it worked a few times.

                    So, does anybody have a non-SCSI TK50 drive I can purchase or borrow? I believe I can use the existing controller, I just want a working drive to connect it to.

                    - Matthew W