TK50?

  • tedheadster
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
      Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists on TK50 to TU81.

      I _might_ be able to recompile the driver but who knows if it'll trip over something unforseen.

      - Matthew

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
        On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
        > Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
        > borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
        > on TK50 to TU81.

        I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
        as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
        constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
        leaving my sight. ;)

        At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
        Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
        slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)

        > I _might_ be able to recompile the driver but who knows if it'll trip
        > over something unforseen.

        That'd be your best bet.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

          >On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
          >> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
          >> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
          >> on TK50 to TU81.
          >
          > I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
          >as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
          >constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
          >leaving my sight. ;)

          Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
            On 08/13/2013 06:01 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
            >>> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
            >>> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
            >>> on TK50 to TU81.
            >>
            >> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
            >> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
            >> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
            >> leaving my sight. ;)
            >
            > Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?

            Drive; he already has a controller.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

              >>> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
              >>> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
              >>> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
              >>> leaving my sight. ;)
              >>
              >> Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?
              >
              > Drive; he already has a controller.

              I can't imagine the driver being that particular about the transport.

              I have myriad TK50 transports but IIRC most of them sport a SCSI interface.

              I'll have to take a look.

              There *IS* a TK50 in the MicroVAX-II at InfoAge. However, I'd request that
              it not be mucked with unless I'm there. That MicroVAX-II was the property
              of Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella and the d|i|g|i|t|a|l museum that used
              to be in MRO (Marlborough, MA). There must be a TK50 somewhere in all the
              kit that's being stockpiled at InfoAge too.

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
                On 08/13/2013 06:09 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                >>> Matthew is this a Qbus controller you be needing?
                >>
                >> Drive; he already has a controller.
                >
                > I can't imagine the driver being that particular about the transport.

                In this case it is; it's hard-coded to look for TU80 and TK50 device IDs.

                > I have myriad TK50 transports but IIRC most of them sport a SCSI interface.

                Figures you'd have more of the rare ones. ;)

                > I'll have to take a look.
                >
                > There *IS* a TK50 in the MicroVAX-II at InfoAge. However, I'd request that
                > it not be mucked with unless I'm there. That MicroVAX-II was the property
                > of Andy Goldstein and Tom Cafarella and the d|i|g|i|t|a|l museum that used
                > to be in MRO (Marlborough, MA). There must be a TK50 somewhere in all the
                > kit that's being stockpiled at InfoAge too.

                I'm sure there is.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
                  On 13/08/2013 22:47, Dave McGuire wrote:
                  > On 08/13/2013 04:53 PM, tedheadster wrote:
                  >> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
                  >> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
                  >> on TK50 to TU81.
                  > I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
                  > as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
                  > constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
                  > leaving my sight. ;)
                  >
                  > At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
                  > Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
                  > slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)

                  Lots of folks used to carry these as spares, I wonder if any one has any
                  hidden away in a drawer or spares bin....

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 13, 2013
                    On 08/13/2013 06:52 PM, Dave wrote:
                    >>> Okay, I'm revising my request to 'anybody got a TK50 and tape' I can
                    >>> borrow? I have a TK70 and controller, but Ultrix-11 no likey. It insists
                    >>> on TK50 to TU81.
                    >> I have probably twenty TK50s here, but your guess is as good as mine
                    >> as to which ones work. It's the least-reliable tape device ever
                    >> constructed. The one that I know still works is in my 11/83 and isn't
                    >> leaving my sight. ;)
                    >>
                    >> At some point I'd like to find a way to get new leader tongues made.
                    >> Nearly all of mine have succumbed to that problem. (broken, not just
                    >> slipped off...the latter is a 1-minute fix)
                    >
                    > Lots of folks used to carry these as spares, I wonder if any one has any
                    > hidden away in a drawer or spares bin....

                    One can hope. They're practically consumables. I bought a pile of
                    them from DEC when they were still selling them, but they're all gone.
                    I wish I'd bought more at the time.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • tedheadster
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 19, 2013
                      Okay, confirmed that my TK70 is on the fritz, and the hard coded Ultrix-11 requirement for TK50 isn't helping any either. The previous owner wrote on the drive 'broken' with sharpie, so I'm amazed that it worked a few times.

                      So, does anybody have a non-SCSI TK50 drive I can purchase or borrow? I believe I can use the existing controller, I just want a working drive to connect it to.

                      - Matthew W