RE: Museum report + various updates

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 13, 2013

      22 years is vintage for a supercomputer....

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      On 08/12/2013 05:13 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
      >> Great! Thank you for swapping that caster. I've looked off-and-on
      >> for years for an appropriate replacement, and have never managed to find
      >> one.
      >
      > The replacement is about 3/4 the width of the original, so it might not
      > be as strong, but it enabled us to move the computer without leaving a
      > skid mark on the hallway floor.

      I'm sure it will be fine. That caster has been giving me trouble
      since day one. Anything would be an improvement. ;)

      > It was just pretty funny how the repair was more of a pit stop than
      > planned maintenance.
      >
      > 1. Move computer a certain distance
      > 2. Stop, jack up, change the wheel
      > 3. Lower computer, continue moving

      :-)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 13, 2013
        On 08/13/2013 02:33 PM, corey986 wrote:
        > 22 years is vintage for a supercomputer....

        I would agree, but bear in mind that most production supercomputers
        today in less-than-glitzy applications that don't get much press
        coverage (weather prediction, geology, oil exploration...which covers
        90% of supercomputer installations today) are running machines anywhere
        from 8 to 15 years old.

        The whole "this ten-million-dollar machine is ancient, almost a whole
        year old now, so it can obviously no longer process data, so we've gotta
        scrap it and buy a new one!" attitude that permeates the corporate PC
        world does not fly in scientific computing, because in that world,
        clueless management is the exception rather than the rule.

        So yes, a 22-year-old vector super is quite long in the tooth...but
        not by as much as one might think.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • David Keith
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 15, 2013
          Guys,

          I found this on eBay and I just could not help myself :-)  Actually it is an IBM 370/145 Control Panel

          http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-360-mainframe-COMPUTER-control-panel-faceplate-CUSTOM-LIGHTS-/261261607642

          My plan is to restore it to a functional state, add an original name plate (all I have is a IBM 370/158 name plate) and connect it to a Raspberry Pi running Hercules System 370 emulator.

          http://www.hercules-390.eu/

          If I get it working by VCF this year I will bring it for display.

          Have Fun,
          David Keith

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              midatlanticretro-digest@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 15, 2013
            >> If I get it working by VCF this year

            Next VCF East is next year. :) April 5-6, 2014
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 16, 2013
              On 08/15/2013 09:48 PM, David Keith wrote:
              > I found this on eBay and I just could not help myself :-) Actually it
              > is an IBM 370/145 Control Panel
              >
              > http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-360-mainframe-COMPUTER-control-panel-faceplate-CUSTOM-LIGHTS-/261261607642
              >
              > My plan is to restore it to a functional state, add an original name
              > plate (all I have is a IBM 370/158 name plate) and connect it to a
              > Raspberry Pi running Hercules System 370 emulator.
              >
              > http://www.hercules-390.eu/
              >
              > If I get it working by VCF this year I will bring it for display.

              I saw that on eBay. I nearly cried when I read about the "Christmas
              lights" modification. I'm glad it went to a good home.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • David Keith
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 16, 2013
                Me too, but I can rebuild it have the technology it.  I do have original IBM parts to fully restore it to a functional front panel.  Just hate to tell you where I got them from :-(

                David Keith

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
                  Got my Vintage IBM 370/145 Control Panel today. It is not in too bad of shape considering it is about 40 years old.  I placed a IBM 370/158 header plate on top just for show, don't have a 145 header plate. :-( If there is anyone with a 145 header that would like to trade or sell please let me know.  I see what was done with the Christmas lights, and it will be very hard to repair the light sockets.  They cut the light socket in half, and took the lens off of the light blubs and glued them on the front, then stuck Christmas lights in the back side.  I have some light sockets and blubs, but not 150 (36X4 + 6) of them. I going to have to think about a compromise. I have to use incandescent light blubs because they did not use LEDs on the original. I have designed a circuit board(s) to drive the incandescent lights individually from a Raspberry Pi.

                  Going have fun this winter :-) restoring my Altair 8800 and my Mainframe (I was a Systems Programmer on a IBM System 370/145, 148, 158)

                  David Keith

                  On 08/15/2013 09:48 PM, David Keith wrote:
                  > I found this on eBay and I just could not help myself :-) Actually it
                  > is an IBM 370/145 Control Panel
                  >
                  > http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-IBM-360-mainframe-COMPUTER-control-panel-faceplate-CUSTOM-LIGHTS-/261261607642
                  >
                  > My plan is to restore it to a functional state, add an original name
                  > plate (all I have is a IBM 370/158 name plate) and connect it to a
                  > Raspberry Pi running Hercules System 370 emulator.
                  >
                  > http://www.hercules-390.eu/
                  >
                  > If I get it working by VCF this year I will bring it for display.

                  I saw that on eBay. I nearly cried when I read about the "Christmas
                  lights" modification. I'm glad it went to a good home.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA

                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
                    On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, David Keith wrote:

                    > Got my Vintage IBM 370/145 Control Panel today. It is not in too bad of shape considering it is about 40 years old.  I placed a IBM 370/158 header plate on top just for show, don't have a 145 header plate. :-( If there is anyone with a 145 header that would like to trade or sell please let me know.  I see what was done with the Christmas lights, and it will be very hard to repair the light sockets.  They cut the light socket in half, and took the lens off of the light blubs and glued them on the front, then stuck Christmas lights in the back side.  I have some light sockets and blubs, but not 150 (36X4 + 6) of them. I going to have to think about a compromise. I have to use incandescent light blubs because they did not use LEDs on the original. I have designed a circuit board(s) to drive the incandescent lights individually from a Raspberry Pi.
                    ??

                    I want pictures! :)

                    > Going have fun this winter :-) restoring my Altair 8800 and my Mainframe (I was a Systems Programmer on a IBM System 370/145, 148, 158)

                    Do you have a mainframe or just the panel?

                    --
                    Cory Smelosky
                    http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 20, 2013
                      Just the front control panel, I am going to replace it's brain with a Raspberry PI running Hercules VM/370. The Raspberry PI has many times the compute power, than the old mainframes.

                      I have created an album to record the restoration.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 27, 2013
                        Saw this seller on eBay, he has two card sorters that need a lot of restoration, but a good price :-$ for now at least

                        http://www.ebay.com/sch/guardianrob453/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

                        Too old for my interest, but maybe someone in the group may give it a go

                        -- David Keith