Re: [midatlanticretro] Kaypro 1 operating system???

  • ysgdhio
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
      The boot disks would certainly have been in Don Maslin's collection.
      I wonder what ever happened to all that stuff... :-(

      Andy
    • M. Frank
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
        I'm not sure if your questions were answered but I'm sure I have a Kaypro 1 boot diskette, send me your address separately and I will send you one,  Mike

        keycat02 <keycat02@...> wrote:
        Hello Retroids.  I've recently acquired a Kaypro 1 computer with no
        software.  I also have a Kaypro 2 that has most of its software
        including CP/M, and so thought that the Kaypro 1 would be able to boot
        and run the same software.  When I insert a bootable disk in the
        Kaypro 1, however, I get the message "No operating system present on
        this disk".  I first thought it might be a bad floppy drive in the
        Kaypro 1, so I transplanted the A drive to the Kaypro 2 and found it
        worked just fine.  Is it possible that the Kaypro 1 has a specific
        version of CP/M?  Does anybody have a copy?  Alternately, does this
        suggest a problem with the disk controller in the Kaypro 1?  Thanks
        for any help.  John Reeve

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2 11:41 AM
          For us GPS geeks, how about jotting down the Lat/Long the next time
          you're at Infoage? :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2 11:44 AM
            Who, me?

                For us GPS geeks, how about jotting down the Lat/Long the next time
            you're at Infoage?  :-)

            Mike Loewen                        mloewen@...
            Old Technology      http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
          • Bryan Pope
            Message 5 of 17 , May 2 11:48 AM
              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              Who, me?

              You *do* have a GPS unit... :)

              Cheers,

              Bryan

              Message 6 of 17 , May 2 12:01 PM
                Okay here you go:

                lat: 40.187894   /    40:11:16.418N
                lon: -074.060017   /   74:03:36.061W

                InfoAge is at 2201 Marconi Rd. in Wall, N.J. -- the software I just used to find the coordinates only located 2229 Marconi Rd. -- which I suppose is right down the street, probably one of those houses or the Little League field or something.

                Message 7 of 17 , May 2 12:17 PM
                  On Tue, 2 May 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > Who, me?

                  Are you a GPS geek? :-) Yah, I should have said.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2 12:19 PM
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    Okay here you go:

                    lat: 40.187894   /    40:11:16.418N
                    lon: -074.060017   /   74:03:36.061W

                    InfoAge is at 2201 Marconi Rd. in Wall, N.J. -- the software I just used to find the coordinates only located 2229 Marconi Rd. -- which I suppose is right down the street, probably one of those houses or the Little League field or something.

                    http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2201+Marconi+Rd,+Belmar,+NJ+07719&ll=40.185537,-74.059803&spn=0.003783,0.008465&t=k&om=1

                    What looks like a beigey orangey building in the middle is where you want to go...  (Actually the roof is a reddish half-pipe tile)  The parking lot is that big long space just above that building.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2 12:22 PM
                      Well I wouldn't call myself a GPS geek.  I happen to have the TomTom software on my Treo linked to a Bluetooth antenna which goes on my dashboard, but it's just another tool.  I'm not "into" GPS.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 2 12:48 PM
                        I should have the actual coords at home in my eTrex.

                        I imagine you can get close enough by entering the InfoAge address
                        into any of the free online geocode services.

                        Andy
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2 12:54 PM
                          Right.  I used the "EZ-Locate Interactive" program at geocode.com.

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2 1:04 PM
                            Here's the one I jotted down when there last.
                            N 40 11.200 W 74 03.583
                            Evan's is about 400 feet away, not far.

                            John A.
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2 1:30 PM
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              Well I wouldn't call myself a GPS geek.  I happen to have the TomTom software on my Treo linked to a Bluetooth antenna which goes on my dashboard, but it's just another tool.  I'm not "into" GPS.
                              Evan is more of a Miata geek...  ;)

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan