RLV11 Controllers

  • tedheadster
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 7, 2013
      Does MARCH or anyone in the group have QBus RLV11 controllers? We have several RL01/02 drives, but I don't know if we can hook any of them up to our much lower power QBus systems.

      Alternately, does anybody have some they would trade for an RL11 Unibus controller or something of similar value?

      - Matthew W

    • David Riley
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 7, 2013
        On Aug 7, 2013, at 11:48 AM, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

        > Does MARCH or anyone in the group have QBus RLV11 controllers? We have several RL01/02 drives, but I don't know if we can hook any of them up to our much lower power QBus systems.
        >
        > Alternately, does anybody have some they would trade for an RL11 Unibus controller or something of similar value?

        RLV12 would be an equally good (probably better) option; it's the single-board version of the controller and doesn't require any CD rows (some of our smaller systems may have serpentine backplanes, which won't do for the RLV11 because they don't have real CD rows).

        And if anyone does have spares, I'm looking for a controller as well (either Qbus type).

        - Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2013
          On 08/07/2013 12:29 PM, David Riley wrote:
          >> Does MARCH or anyone in the group have QBus RLV11 controllers? We
          >> have several RL01/02 drives, but I don't know if we can hook any of
          >> them up to our much lower power QBus systems.
          >>
          >> Alternately, does anybody have some they would trade for an RL11
          >> Unibus controller or something of similar value?
          >
          > RLV12 would be an equally good (probably better) option; it's the
          > single-board version of the controller and doesn't require any CD
          > rows (some of our smaller systems may have serpentine backplanes,
          > which won't do for the RLV11 because they don't have real CD rows).

          And note well, if you plug an RLV11 board set into a Q/Q backplane,
          SMOKE will result. I learned this the hard way, with someone else's
          RLV11 that I was borrowing, in 1985, when an RLV11 was worth quite a lot
          of money. It took me quite awhile to pay for that with my after-school job.

          Anyway, I have several RLV12s, but all in systems. I can bring one
          to MARCH for testing or other work at some point, but it's going back
          with me. ;)

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ