Re: [midatlanticretro] Larger Disks

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
      On 08/05/2013 12:54 PM, David Riley wrote:
      > We could get a lot done with RL02s, which is handy because they're
      > easily swappable. It would actually make a great demo, and the rack
      > that the 11/44 is in already has the RL01/02 cable "plumbed"; we'd
      > probably just need to replace one of the drives with it or put a side
      > rack full of drives like it was presumably already set up before it
      > came to MARCH. MARCH has lots of RL02 media, we'd just need someone
      > to image a few.

      I can help with that. I keep an 11/83 system set up with 2.11BSD and
      an RL02 drive. I FTP images over to it, and write them with dd.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody noticed any larger (for their era) DEC disks in our possession?
        > David and I did an inventory and they're mostly small ones. The largest I
        > think we found were:
        >
        > RA60 : 205 MiB (no known disk pack)
        > RA80 : 120 MiB
        > RA81 : 456 MiB (made a bad noise when powered on I think?)
        >
        > Everything else we noted (RK05/RL01/RL02) were 10 MiB or smaller. Does
        > anybody know if we missed something (maybe Fujitsu Eagles?) or can donate
        > something largish?
        >
        > - Matthew W

        Did you check the MARCH Infoage basement area? There used to be a lot of stuff there including some DEC boards and I believe some drives (DEC and non-DEC). I seem to recall some non DEC brand drives among MARCH's collection, that may happen to be DEC-usable.

        Herb Johnson