Re: [midatlanticretro] RK05 Drive

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5 6:59 PM
      On 08/05/2013 09:58 PM, tedheadster wrote:
      > Does anybody in the group have a working RK05 disk drive? We have at
      > least 7 drives them in the warehouse and it would be nice to image a
      > pack with something bootable. Unsure if we have disk packs in the
      > warehouse though.

      I have several working RK05s here.

      That would be a nice workshop, rebuilding RK05s.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • David Gesswein
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5 7:14 PM
        On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 09:58:01PM -0400, tedheadster wrote:
        > Does anybody in the group have a working RK05 disk drive? We have at least
        > 7 drives them in the warehouse and it would be nice to image a pack with
        > something bootable. Unsure if we have disk packs in the warehouse though.

        I have a working drive though can only write PDP-8 packs.
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5 7:36 PM
          > On 08/05/2013 09:58 PM, tedheadster wrote:
          > > Does anybody in the group have a working RK05 disk drive? We have at
          > > least 7 drives them in the warehouse and it would be nice to image a
          > > pack with something bootable. Unsure if we have disk packs in the
          > > warehouse though.
          >
          > I have several working RK05s here.
          >
          > That would be a nice workshop, rebuilding RK05s.
          >
          > -Dave

          You'd want to service the RK05's before you try them. I have two working
          RK05's, but I'd only be willing to image a new or known working pack in
          them. I could put OS/8 on it. I did this recently.
          Bill
        • tedheadster
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 6 8:38 AM
            Dang, do I understand correctly that the RK11-D controller for an RK05 disk is FOUR Unibus boards?

            M7254 RK11-D U RK05 status control module M7255 RK11-D U RK05 disk control module M7256 RK11-D U RK05 registers module (data path) M7257 RK11-D U RK05 bus control module

            How do you have room for anything else in the computer?

            - Matthew W

          • David Riley
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 6 9:15 AM
              On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:38 AM, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

              > Dang, do I understand correctly that the RK11-D controller for an RK05 disk is FOUR Unibus boards?
              >
              > M7254 RK11-D U RK05 status control module
              > M7255 RK11-D U RK05 disk control module
              > M7256 RK11-D U RK05 registers module (data path)
              > M7257 RK11-D U RK05 bus control module
              >

              > How do you have room for anything else in the computer?

              That's what expansion chassis are for!

              - Dave
            • David Comley

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 6 9:55 AM
                  Plenty of room

                  http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8e/Digital_PDP8e-cardcage.JPG

                  bd

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 6 10:01 AM
                    On 08/06/2013 11:38 AM, tedheadster wrote:
                    > Dang, do I understand correctly that the RK11-D controller for an RK05 disk is FOUR Unibus boards?
                    >
                    > M7254 RK11-D U RK05 status control module
                    > M7255 RK11-D U RK05 disk control module
                    > M7256 RK11-D U RK05 registers module (data path)
                    > M7257 RK11-D U RK05 bus control module
                    >
                    > How do you have room for anything else in the computer?

                    No, they are not Unibus boards. The are "RK11-D" boards. One of them
                    implements a Unibus interface. But be careful, as the RK11-D also requires
                    an RK11-D backplane. It looks like a Unibus backplane, but it isn't; it's
                    specifically wired to be an RK11-D.

                    As far as anything else, remember that during the time of RK05s, they were
                    "big system" drives. One would rarely have an RK05 subsystem on a machine
                    whose CPU is in a 3U chassis; 6U was more common for larger systems, and then
                    there are the even larger ones as used in the 11/45 and 11/70. And then, of
                    course, expansion chassis.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 6 10:02 AM
                      You won't be putting an RK11-D in there! ;)

                      -Dave

                      On 08/06/2013 12:55 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                      > Plenty of room
                      >
                      > http://vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8e/Digital_PDP8e-cardcage.JPG
                      >
                      > bd

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 6 12:16 PM
                        This system runs OS/8. 32K RAM, RK05 drive controllers.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 6 12:18 PM
                          So RK8-E, then.

                          -Dave

                          On 08/06/2013 03:16 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                          > This system runs OS/8. 32K RAM, RK05 drive controllers.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ