Re: [midatlanticretro] Larger Disks

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
      On Aug 5, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

      > >> There are actually a few DEC half-racks in the warehouse (shorter
      > than the rack the 11/44 is in, but the same style)
      >
      > True -- I'd prefer using one of equal height if we can get it. Also,
      > beside a drive or two, what else would be appropriate to put * in * the
      > rack -- I suppose a tape drive too?

      Agreed on the height. If we can find a rack of equal height, it would be great; other list members would know the rack part numbers better than I do. The 11/44 is in a rack that I recall being about my height (5'6" or so).

      As far as what else to put in the rack, RL02 drives take up 6U of rack space each, if I remember correctly. Nothing to sneeze at. There are a few rackmount tape drives in the warehouse, though I didn't see any DEC ones (not that third-party tape drives would have been at all uncommon in the real world). Most 9-track tape drives are 4-5U; I know my DEC TSV05 (rebadged Cipher F880) is 5U, and 4U would be remarkably compact for all the machinery that goes into one.

      We even found a Unibus Pertec controller (popular interface for tape drives), though we don't know much about the specifics; anyone know anything about the AVIV TFC-825? My assumption is that it probably emulates a popular DEC Pertec controller, or TMSCP, but beyond that I can't seem to find any specifics.

      - Dave
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
        On 08/05/2013 06:16 PM, David Riley wrote:
        > As far as what else to put in the rack, RL02 drives take up 6U of
        > rack space each, if I remember correctly. Nothing to sneeze at.
        > There are a few rackmount tape drives in the warehouse, though I
        > didn't see any DEC ones (not that third-party tape drives would have
        > been at all uncommon in the real world). Most 9-track tape drives
        > are 4-5U; I know my DEC TSV05 (rebadged Cipher F880) is 5U, and 4U
        > would be remarkably compact for all the machinery that goes into
        > one.

        3U 9-track drives do exist; I have one here. (just sayin')

        > We even found a Unibus Pertec controller (popular interface for tape
        > drives), though we don't know much about the specifics; anyone know
        > anything about the AVIV TFC-825? My assumption is that it probably
        > emulates a popular DEC Pertec controller, or TMSCP, but beyond that I
        > can't seem to find any specifics.

        Companies building controllers that didn't emulate DEC boards didn't
        sell any controllers. It's sure to emulate something standard. The
        quickest way to find out what it is is to boot RT11, type "show dev",
        and look for devices tagged as "installed". This of course assumes that
        you have a "full" RT11 distribution on your boot media, which does come
        in handy for stuff like this. (in fact that's about all I use RT11 for ;))

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
          On 08/05/2013 12:54 PM, David Riley wrote:
          > We could get a lot done with RL02s, which is handy because they're
          > easily swappable. It would actually make a great demo, and the rack
          > that the 11/44 is in already has the RL01/02 cable "plumbed"; we'd
          > probably just need to replace one of the drives with it or put a side
          > rack full of drives like it was presumably already set up before it
          > came to MARCH. MARCH has lots of RL02 media, we'd just need someone
          > to image a few.

          I can help with that. I keep an 11/83 system set up with 2.11BSD and
          an RL02 drive. I FTP images over to it, and write them with dd.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

            > Has anybody noticed any larger (for their era) DEC disks in our possession?
            > David and I did an inventory and they're mostly small ones. The largest I
            > think we found were:
            >
            > RA60 : 205 MiB (no known disk pack)
            > RA80 : 120 MiB
            > RA81 : 456 MiB (made a bad noise when powered on I think?)
            >
            > Everything else we noted (RK05/RL01/RL02) were 10 MiB or smaller. Does
            > anybody know if we missed something (maybe Fujitsu Eagles?) or can donate
            > something largish?
            >
            > - Matthew W

            Did you check the MARCH Infoage basement area? There used to be a lot of stuff there including some DEC boards and I believe some drives (DEC and non-DEC). I seem to recall some non DEC brand drives among MARCH's collection, that may happen to be DEC-usable.

            Herb Johnson