Re: [midatlanticretro] Larger Disks

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
      >> or put a side rack full of drives

      I'd love for us to do that, mainly because general museum visitors identify multi-rack systems as being those big old computers... However we'd have to acquire a rack that matches the current one in color and height. Also we'd have to do some rearranging in the exhibit room. We will probably need to remove the Burroughs B-80. That's okay because it is the least interesting thing in the room, and I'll gladly make that compromise for an awesome demo.

      Does anyone have a matching rack that we'll need? I'm sure Dave/Matt/Bill/etc. can say exactly what it is beyond my description of "off-white and tallish".)

      Whoever has one to spare should email me.
    • tedheadster
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
        Here is a variation on my earlier theme. Does anybody have an RA7X series disk they could provide to the organization? They're _much_ more reliable than the 19" rack mount stuff, because they're _just_ 5.25" full height SDI disks. In software they look the similar to the 'big iron' disks but they're sooooo much more reliable and use a fraction of the power.

        - Matthew

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
          >> sooooo much more reliable and use a fraction of the power.

          That's a big plus.

          Normally MARCH only accepts donations, but for something like this we could work out a trade or buy one if it's reasonable.
        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
            On Aug 5, 2013, at 1:06 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

            > >> or put a side rack full of drives
            >
            > I'd love for us to do that, mainly because general museum visitors identify multi-rack systems as being those big old computers... However we'd have to acquire a rack that matches the current one in color and height. Also we'd have to do some rearranging in the exhibit room. We will probably need to remove the Burroughs B-80. That's okay because it is the least interesting thing in the room, and I'll gladly make that compromise for an awesome demo.
            >
            > Does anyone have a matching rack that we'll need? I'm sure Dave/Matt/Bill/etc. can say exactly what it is beyond my description of "off-white and tallish".)
            >
            > Whoever has one to spare should email me.

            There are actually a few DEC half-racks in the warehouse (shorter than the rack the 11/44 is in, but the same style), some of which aren't even particularly loaded or already have several RL01/02 drives in addition to a PDP-11 of some sort. We could certainly repurpose at least one of those as an RL02 companion rack if we shuffled some things around.

            The racks aren't specifically marked on the inventory we did, but they're certainly not hard to find in the warehouse.

            - Dave
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
              >> There are actually a few DEC half-racks in the warehouse (shorter
              than the rack the 11/44 is in, but the same style)

              True -- I'd prefer using one of equal height if we can get it. Also,
              beside a drive or two, what else would be appropriate to put * in * the
              rack -- I suppose a tape drive too?
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                > >> There are actually a few DEC half-racks in the warehouse (shorter
                > than the rack the 11/44 is in, but the same style)

                I always wanted to drive a half-(t)rack.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • David Riley
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                  On Aug 5, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                  > >> There are actually a few DEC half-racks in the warehouse (shorter
                  > than the rack the 11/44 is in, but the same style)
                  >
                  > True -- I'd prefer using one of equal height if we can get it. Also,
                  > beside a drive or two, what else would be appropriate to put * in * the
                  > rack -- I suppose a tape drive too?

                  Agreed on the height. If we can find a rack of equal height, it would be great; other list members would know the rack part numbers better than I do. The 11/44 is in a rack that I recall being about my height (5'6" or so).

                  As far as what else to put in the rack, RL02 drives take up 6U of rack space each, if I remember correctly. Nothing to sneeze at. There are a few rackmount tape drives in the warehouse, though I didn't see any DEC ones (not that third-party tape drives would have been at all uncommon in the real world). Most 9-track tape drives are 4-5U; I know my DEC TSV05 (rebadged Cipher F880) is 5U, and 4U would be remarkably compact for all the machinery that goes into one.

                  We even found a Unibus Pertec controller (popular interface for tape drives), though we don't know much about the specifics; anyone know anything about the AVIV TFC-825? My assumption is that it probably emulates a popular DEC Pertec controller, or TMSCP, but beyond that I can't seem to find any specifics.

                  - Dave
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                    On 08/05/2013 06:16 PM, David Riley wrote:
                    > As far as what else to put in the rack, RL02 drives take up 6U of
                    > rack space each, if I remember correctly. Nothing to sneeze at.
                    > There are a few rackmount tape drives in the warehouse, though I
                    > didn't see any DEC ones (not that third-party tape drives would have
                    > been at all uncommon in the real world). Most 9-track tape drives
                    > are 4-5U; I know my DEC TSV05 (rebadged Cipher F880) is 5U, and 4U
                    > would be remarkably compact for all the machinery that goes into
                    > one.

                    3U 9-track drives do exist; I have one here. (just sayin')

                    > We even found a Unibus Pertec controller (popular interface for tape
                    > drives), though we don't know much about the specifics; anyone know
                    > anything about the AVIV TFC-825? My assumption is that it probably
                    > emulates a popular DEC Pertec controller, or TMSCP, but beyond that I
                    > can't seem to find any specifics.

                    Companies building controllers that didn't emulate DEC boards didn't
                    sell any controllers. It's sure to emulate something standard. The
                    quickest way to find out what it is is to boot RT11, type "show dev",
                    and look for devices tagged as "installed". This of course assumes that
                    you have a "full" RT11 distribution on your boot media, which does come
                    in handy for stuff like this. (in fact that's about all I use RT11 for ;))

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
                      On 08/05/2013 12:54 PM, David Riley wrote:
                      > We could get a lot done with RL02s, which is handy because they're
                      > easily swappable. It would actually make a great demo, and the rack
                      > that the 11/44 is in already has the RL01/02 cable "plumbed"; we'd
                      > probably just need to replace one of the drives with it or put a side
                      > rack full of drives like it was presumably already set up before it
                      > came to MARCH. MARCH has lots of RL02 media, we'd just need someone
                      > to image a few.

                      I can help with that. I keep an 11/83 system set up with 2.11BSD and
                      an RL02 drive. I FTP images over to it, and write them with dd.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • s100doctor
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

                        > Has anybody noticed any larger (for their era) DEC disks in our possession?
                        > David and I did an inventory and they're mostly small ones. The largest I
                        > think we found were:
                        >
                        > RA60 : 205 MiB (no known disk pack)
                        > RA80 : 120 MiB
                        > RA81 : 456 MiB (made a bad noise when powered on I think?)
                        >
                        > Everything else we noted (RK05/RL01/RL02) were 10 MiB or smaller. Does
                        > anybody know if we missed something (maybe Fujitsu Eagles?) or can donate
                        > something largish?
                        >
                        > - Matthew W

                        Did you check the MARCH Infoage basement area? There used to be a lot of stuff there including some DEC boards and I believe some drives (DEC and non-DEC). I seem to recall some non DEC brand drives among MARCH's collection, that may happen to be DEC-usable.

                        Herb Johnson