Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone going to be working on DEC stuff this weekend?

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
      On 08/03/2013 01:18 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

      >>> More personality than a 730?
      >>
      >> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
      >
      > Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

      :-)

      > Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
      > there.

      That will take some doing; I still need drives.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
        On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        >>> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
        >>
        >> Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)
        >
        > :-)
        >
        >> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
        >> there.
        >
        > That will take some doing; I still need drives.

        Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
        ;)

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
          On 08/03/2013 01:23 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
          >>> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
          >>> there.
          >>
          >> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
          >
          > Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
          > ;)

          No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
          is in need of LOTS of work.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

            >>> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
            >>
            >> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
            >> ;)
            >
            > No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
            > is in need of LOTS of work.

            How bad off is it? Motor failure?

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
              On 08/03/2013 01:28 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

              >>> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
              >>> ;)
              >>
              >> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
              >> is in need of LOTS of work.
              >
              > How bad off is it? Motor failure?

              Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
              before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                >>> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                >>> is in need of LOTS of work.
                >>
                >> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                >
                > Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                > before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                  >>> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                  >>> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                  >>>

                  >> Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.
                  >
                  > Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                  > 9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                  Interesting. Yeah though, CDC did like to build things well. ;)

                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                    >>> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                    >>
                    >> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                    >> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                    >>

                    > Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                    Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                    9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                    New Kensington, PA
                  • David Gesswein
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                      On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:26:48AM -0400, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                      > OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it.

                      How many people have TU58 tapes that are still useable? All the ones I have
                      the belt is stuck to the tape so if you move it oxide comes off where its
                      been sitting. I haven't tried baking or opening and trying to remove the
                      belt. They didn't have anything useful on them so I was just checking them
                      when someone was looking for some tapes. They had the same problem as the
                      person looking for them so they went back into storage for that mythical
                      point when I have lots of free time.