Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone going to be working on DEC stuff this weekend?

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
      On 08/03/2013 01:14 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
      >>> I never liked the 11/750 simply
      >>> because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.
      >>
      >> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
      >> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
      >> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
      >> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
      >
      > More personality than a 730?

      They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

      >> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
      >> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
      >> which they're accessed.
      >
      > I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)

      Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
      BIT less painful. ;)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Cory Smelosky
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
        On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

        >>> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
        >>> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
        >>> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
        >>> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
        >>
        >> More personality than a 730?
        >
        > They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

        Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

        Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
        there.

        >>> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
        >>> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
        >>> which they're accessed.
        >>
        >> I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)
        >
        > Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
        > BIT less painful. ;)

        ;)

        --
        Cory Smelosky
        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
          On 08/03/2013 01:18 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

          >>> More personality than a 730?
          >>
          >> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
          >
          > Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

          :-)

          > Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
          > there.

          That will take some doing; I still need drives.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Cory Smelosky
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

            >>> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
            >>
            >> Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)
            >
            > :-)
            >
            >> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
            >> there.
            >
            > That will take some doing; I still need drives.

            Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
            ;)

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
              On 08/03/2013 01:23 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
              >>> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
              >>> there.
              >>
              >> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
              >
              > Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
              > ;)

              No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
              is in need of LOTS of work.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                >>> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
                >>
                >> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                >> ;)
                >
                > No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                > is in need of LOTS of work.

                How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                  On 08/03/2013 01:28 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                  >>> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                  >>> ;)
                  >>
                  >> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                  >> is in need of LOTS of work.
                  >
                  > How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                  Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                  before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                    >>> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                    >>> is in need of LOTS of work.
                    >>
                    >> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                    >
                    > Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                    > before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                    Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                      >>> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                      >>> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                      >>>

                      >> Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.
                      >
                      > Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                      > 9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                      Interesting. Yeah though, CDC did like to build things well. ;)

                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                        >>> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                        >>
                        >> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                        >> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                        >>

                        > Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                        Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                        9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        New Kensington, PA
                      • David Gesswein
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                          On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:26:48AM -0400, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          > OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it.

                          How many people have TU58 tapes that are still useable? All the ones I have
                          the belt is stuck to the tape so if you move it oxide comes off where its
                          been sitting. I haven't tried baking or opening and trying to remove the
                          belt. They didn't have anything useful on them so I was just checking them
                          when someone was looking for some tapes. They had the same problem as the
                          person looking for them so they went back into storage for that mythical
                          point when I have lots of free time.