Kaypro 1 operating system???

  • keycat02
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
      Hello Retroids. I've recently acquired a Kaypro 1 computer with no
      software. I also have a Kaypro 2 that has most of its software
      including CP/M, and so thought that the Kaypro 1 would be able to boot
      and run the same software. When I insert a bootable disk in the
      Kaypro 1, however, I get the message "No operating system present on
      this disk". I first thought it might be a bad floppy drive in the
      Kaypro 1, so I transplanted the A drive to the Kaypro 2 and found it
      worked just fine. Is it possible that the Kaypro 1 has a specific
      version of CP/M? Does anybody have a copy? Alternately, does this
      suggest a problem with the disk controller in the Kaypro 1? Thanks
      for any help. John Reeve
    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
        IIRC, the floppy drive(s) on the KayPro 1 have a smaller capacity
        than those of the KayPro 2. Perhaps 90K versus 180K.

        Andy
      • ysgdhio
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
          Whoops, had the wrong machine in mind.

          Ironically, the Kaypro 1 was the last CP/M model they built
          and it does have 360K floppy drives.
          So I guess the drive may be bad.

          Try swapping the cables so that you boot off the B: drive
          and see if that helps.

          Cheers,
          Andy
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
            On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, keycat02 wrote:

            > Hello Retroids. I've recently acquired a Kaypro 1 computer with no
            > software. I also have a Kaypro 2 that has most of its software
            > including CP/M, and so thought that the Kaypro 1 would be able to boot
            > and run the same software. When I insert a bootable disk in the
            > Kaypro 1, however, I get the message "No operating system present on
            > this disk". I first thought it might be a bad floppy drive in the
            > Kaypro 1, so I transplanted the A drive to the Kaypro 2 and found it
            > worked just fine. Is it possible that the Kaypro 1 has a specific
            > version of CP/M? Does anybody have a copy? Alternately, does this
            > suggest a problem with the disk controller in the Kaypro 1? Thanks
            > for any help. John Reeve

            The Kaypro 1 is essentially a repackaged 2X. There's a set of disks in
            this archive:

            http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/os/KAYPRO2X.ZIP

            ...but no bootable images, that I could see. However, the 2X (and the
            1) should both boot the 4'84 disks, images of which are available, here:

            http://www.parse.com/~ddunfield/museum/img/index.htm

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • ysgdhio
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 28, 2006
              The boot disks would certainly have been in Don Maslin's collection.
              I wonder what ever happened to all that stuff... :-(

              Andy
            • M. Frank

                Message 7 of 17 , May 2 11:41 AM
                  For us GPS geeks, how about jotting down the Lat/Long the next time
                  you're at Infoage? :-)

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2 11:44 AM
                    Who, me?

                        For us GPS geeks, how about jotting down the Lat/Long the next time
                    you're at Infoage?  :-)

                    Mike Loewen                        mloewen@...
                    Old Technology      http://ripsaw.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 2 11:48 AM
                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                      Who, me?

                      You *do* have a GPS unit... :)

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 2 12:01 PM
                        Okay here you go:

                        lat: 40.187894   /    40:11:16.418N
                        lon: -074.060017   /   74:03:36.061W

                        InfoAge is at 2201 Marconi Rd. in Wall, N.J. -- the software I just used to find the coordinates only located 2229 Marconi Rd. -- which I suppose is right down the street, probably one of those houses or the Little League field or something.

                        Message 11 of 17 , May 2 12:17 PM
                          On Tue, 2 May 2006, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                          > Who, me?

                          Are you a GPS geek? :-) Yah, I should have said.

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                        • Bryan Pope
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 2 12:19 PM
                            Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            Okay here you go:

                            lat: 40.187894   /    40:11:16.418N
                            lon: -074.060017   /   74:03:36.061W

                            InfoAge is at 2201 Marconi Rd. in Wall, N.J. -- the software I just used to find the coordinates only located 2229 Marconi Rd. -- which I suppose is right down the street, probably one of those houses or the Little League field or something.

                            http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=2201+Marconi+Rd,+Belmar,+NJ+07719&ll=40.185537,-74.059803&spn=0.003783,0.008465&t=k&om=1

                            What looks like a beigey orangey building in the middle is where you want to go...  (Actually the roof is a reddish half-pipe tile)  The parking lot is that big long space just above that building.

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 2 12:22 PM
                              Well I wouldn't call myself a GPS geek.  I happen to have the TomTom software on my Treo linked to a Bluetooth antenna which goes on my dashboard, but it's just another tool.  I'm not "into" GPS.

                              Message 14 of 17 , May 2 12:48 PM
                                I should have the actual coords at home in my eTrex.

                                I imagine you can get close enough by entering the InfoAge address
                                into any of the free online geocode services.

                                Andy
                                Message 15 of 17 , May 2 12:54 PM
                                  Right.  I used the "EZ-Locate Interactive" program at geocode.com.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 2 1:04 PM
                                    Here's the one I jotted down when there last.
                                    N 40 11.200 W 74 03.583
                                    Evan's is about 400 feet away, not far.

                                    John A.
                                  • Bryan Pope
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 2 1:30 PM
                                      Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                      Well I wouldn't call myself a GPS geek.  I happen to have the TomTom software on my Treo linked to a Bluetooth antenna which goes on my dashboard, but it's just another tool.  I'm not "into" GPS.
                                      Evan is more of a Miata geek...  ;)

                                      Cheers,

                                      Bryan