Re: [midatlanticretro] TK70 Tape Drive

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2013
      On Fri, 8/2/13, tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> wrote:

      > I finally got some tapes today and
      > learned that my TK70 tape drive doesn't work. If anybody
      > wants to sell me one this weekend, please bring it along and
      > email me off-list.

      Define "doesn't work". Those drives are pretty easy to fix, usually it's just a dropped leader, dirty heads, or fuzz in the sensor optics. Also, TK50 and TK70 media, while they look and are identical, are formatted differently. You have to bulk erase TK50's before you can rewrite them as TK70's. The TK70 can READ TK50 tapes, but it can't write them in that format. Bulk erase it, then you can use it as a TK70.

      I don't have a spare drive handy, but bring yours, and I'll see if I can get it going.

      -Ian
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
        tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

        >I finally got some tapes today and learned that my TK70 tape drive doesn't
        >work. If anybody wants to sell me one this weekend, please bring it along
        >and email me off-list.

        For what purpose. I may have a TX87/TZ89 or three here. They'll do 50s/70s
        as well as DECtape IIIs and IVs.

        I won't be there this weekend, however. I'm off to an all day concert today
        for my birthday and then packing up and getting ready to trek to a client in
        the Williamsport/State College, PA area Monday for the week.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
          On 08/03/2013 08:18 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
          > I won't be there this weekend, however. I'm off to an all day concert today
          > for my birthday and then packing up and getting ready to trek to a client in
          > the Williamsport/State College, PA area Monday for the week.

          Happy birthday!

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • jack99rubin
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
            > For what purpose. I may have a TX87/TZ89 or three here. They'll do 50s/70s
            > as well as DECtape IIIs and IVs.

            Any idea if either of these would be recognized by a TK70 controller under RT-11? Or if there is a TZ/TX Qbus controller?

            Thanks,
            Jack
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2013
              On 08/03/2013 01:48 PM, jack99rubin wrote:
              >> For what purpose. I may have a TX87/TZ89 or three here. They'll
              >> do 50s/70s as well as DECtape IIIs and IVs.
              >
              > Any idea if either of these would be recognized by a TK70 controller
              > under RT-11? Or if there is a TZ/TX Qbus controller?

              TZ drives are SCSI..

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2013
                "jack99rubin" <j@...> writes:

                >> For what purpose. I may have a TX87/TZ89 or three here. They'll do 50s/=
                >70s
                >> as well as DECtape IIIs and IVs.
                >>=20
                >
                >Any idea if either of these would be recognized by a TK70 controller under =
                >RT-11? Or if there is a TZ/TX Qbus controller?

                That was a typo on my part -- TZ87 and TZ89. The Z designated that it was
                SCSI. There were numerous third-party Qbus SCSI controllers but whether or
                not there are drivers to support these under RT-11 is anybody's guess but
                mine.