Re: [midatlanticretro] Anyone going to be working on DEC stuff this weekend?

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2013
      >I have not heard from anyone about the Byte mags, teletype stand, or TI 99
      >gear so I assume no one wants these.

      I sent you a private e-mail and didn't hear back from you. Also I hope to
      get there by 6 or so. I was interest in the Byte magazine. But wondered what
      the deal was. You had offered them before and then suddenly changed your
      mind. So what's the deal?

      Jeff 3 Brace
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
        tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

        >I want to work on the PDP-11/44 or VAX-11/750. I'm bringing ready to run
        >boot disks.

        Do you have TU-58 bootloader tape for the 11/750. Depending upon the version
        of VMS on that boot disk, you'll need an appropriate WCS file (cmt###). You
        need CMT103, IIRC, for V5 and up.

      • tedheadster
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
          I'm bringing an Emulex card (UC17) that makes scsi disks look like a UDA50 with RA81 disks. However, you're right, I don't have TU58 console media. Just hope it is to be found in the warehouse stock.

          - Mtthew

        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
            tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

            >I'm bringing an Emulex card (UC17) that makes scsi disks look like a UDA50
            >with RA81 disks. However, you're right, I don't have TU58 console media.
            >Just hope it is to be found in the warehouse stock.

            OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it. It's
            very likely that it was an 11/750 bootloader tape because I can't figure
            what else I would have encountered over the years which had a TU58 to even
            have this tape. It's contents, unknown. I never liked the 11/750 simply
            because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.

            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
              On 08/03/2013 08:26 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
              > I never liked the 11/750 simply
              > because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.

              Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
              MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
              I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
              now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!

              The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
              by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
              which they're accessed.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > On 08/03/2013 08:26 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                >> I never liked the 11/750 simply
                >> because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.
                >
                > Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                > MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                > I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                > now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!

                More personality than a 730?

                > The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                > by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                > which they're accessed.

                I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)

                --
                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                  On 08/03/2013 01:14 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                  >>> I never liked the 11/750 simply
                  >>> because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.
                  >>
                  >> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                  >> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                  >> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                  >> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
                  >
                  > More personality than a 730?

                  They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

                  >> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                  >> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                  >> which they're accessed.
                  >
                  > I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)

                  Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
                  BIT less painful. ;)

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                    >>> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                    >>> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                    >>> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                    >>> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
                    >>
                    >> More personality than a 730?
                    >
                    > They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

                    Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

                    Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                    there.

                    >>> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                    >>> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                    >>> which they're accessed.
                    >>
                    >> I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)
                    >
                    > Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
                    > BIT less painful. ;)

                    ;)

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                      On 08/03/2013 01:18 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                      >>> More personality than a 730?
                      >>
                      >> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
                      >
                      > Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

                      :-)

                      > Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                      > there.

                      That will take some doing; I still need drives.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Cory Smelosky
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                        >>> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
                        >>
                        >> Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >
                        >> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                        >> there.
                        >
                        > That will take some doing; I still need drives.

                        Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                        ;)

                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                          On 08/03/2013 01:23 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                          >>> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                          >>> there.
                          >>
                          >> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
                          >
                          > Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                          > ;)

                          No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                          is in need of LOTS of work.

                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          New Kensington, PA
                        • Cory Smelosky
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                            >>> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
                            >>
                            >> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                            >> ;)
                            >
                            > No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                            > is in need of LOTS of work.

                            How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                              On 08/03/2013 01:28 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                              >>> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                              >>> ;)
                              >>
                              >> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                              >> is in need of LOTS of work.
                              >
                              > How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                              Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                              before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • Cory Smelosky
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                                >>> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                                >>> is in need of LOTS of work.
                                >>
                                >> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                                >
                                > Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                > before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                                Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                                  >>> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                  >>> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                                  >>>

                                  >> Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.
                                  >
                                  > Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                                  > 9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                                  Interesting. Yeah though, CDC did like to build things well. ;)

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013

                                    >>> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                                    >>
                                    >> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                    >> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                                    >>

                                    > Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                                    Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                                    9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                    New Kensington, PA
                                  • David Gesswein
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 3, 2013
                                      On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:26:48AM -0400, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                      > OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it.

                                      How many people have TU58 tapes that are still useable? All the ones I have
                                      the belt is stuck to the tape so if you move it oxide comes off where its
                                      been sitting. I haven't tried baking or opening and trying to remove the
                                      belt. They didn't have anything useful on them so I was just checking them
                                      when someone was looking for some tapes. They had the same problem as the
                                      person looking for them so they went back into storage for that mythical
                                      point when I have lots of free time.