Anyone going to be working on DEC stuff this weekend?

  • Mr Ian Primus
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2 4:24 PM
      I'm contemplating bringing along an 11/44 that I haven't had time to troubleshoot fully - it comes up to a ?CP DIDN'T START error, and does very little else. But I wanted to see if anyone else was planning on working on DEC gear...

      -Ian
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2 5:38 PM
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2 6:55 PM
          I want to work on the PDP-11/44 or VAX-11/750. I'm bringing ready to run boot disks.

          - Matthew W

        • David Riley
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2 6:58 PM
            Matt Whitehead is planning on working on a VAX-11/750 and possibly a PDP-11/?? (Unibus, don't remember which one). I was planning on helping if possible and bringing some diagnostic gear (scope, meter, etc).

            - Dave

            On Aug 2, 2013, at 19:24, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> wrote:

            I'm contemplating bringing along an 11/44 that I haven't had time to troubleshoot fully - it comes up to a ?CP DIDN'T START error, and does very little else. But I wanted to see if anyone else was planning on working on DEC gear...

            -Ian

          • Cory Smelosky
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2 6:59 PM
              On Fri, 3 Aug 2013, David Riley wrote:

              > Matt Whitehead is planning on working on a VAX-11/750 and possibly a PDP-11/?? (Unibus, don't remember which one). I was planning on helping if possible and bringing some diagnostic gear (scope, meter, etc).

              I really wish I could make it...I'd love to mess with the -11/750.

              --
              Cory Smelosky
              http://gewt.net Personal stuff
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2 7:03 PM
                On 08/02/2013 09:59 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                >> Matt Whitehead is planning on working on a VAX-11/750 and possibly a PDP-11/?? (Unibus, don't remember which one). I was planning on helping if possible and bringing some diagnostic gear (scope, meter, etc).
                >>

                > I really wish I could make it...I'd love to mess with the -11/750.

                Mine's closer, but you won't even come over here! ;)

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2 7:03 PM
                  On 08/02/2013 09:58 PM, David Riley wrote:
                  > Matt Whitehead is planning on working on a VAX-11/750 and possibly a
                  > PDP-11/?? (Unibus, don't remember which one). I was planning on helping
                  > if possible and bringing some diagnostic gear (scope, meter, etc).

                  If you haven't worked on an 11/750 before...BEWARE. When you remove
                  the back door of the rack, the power supply bus bars will be plainly
                  visible. REMOVE all watches, rings, etc before going near that stuff.

                  This may seem like an overly anal warning, especially coming from me
                  (I regularly do building power wiring without so much as turning off the
                  breakers) but those buses carry power along the lines of 2.5V at 85A,
                  and 5V at 135A. That can turn a wedding ring into a red-hot circle of
                  metal stuck to your finger. I have seen really, really bad scars on the
                  hands of DEC field service personnel due to playing fast and loose with
                  11/750 power supplies.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  New Kensington, PA
                • Cory Smelosky
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2 7:05 PM
                    On Fri, 3 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                    > On 08/02/2013 09:59 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                    >>> Matt Whitehead is planning on working on a VAX-11/750 and possibly a PDP-11/?? (Unibus, don't remember which one). I was planning on helping if possible and bringing some diagnostic gear (scope, meter, etc).
                    >>>

                    >> I really wish I could make it...I'd love to mess with the -11/750.
                    >
                    > Mine's closer, but you won't even come over here! ;)

                    Been too busy with family medical stuff, stuff related to training related
                    to my eyesight, and lately minor hearing issues!

                    I'd love to get out there, but I just don't have anyone here that can
                    drive that far and would be interested in staying a little while.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2 7:24 PM
                      On 08/02/2013 10:05 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                      >>> I really wish I could make it...I'd love to mess with the -11/750.
                      >>
                      >> Mine's closer, but you won't even come over here! ;)
                      >
                      > Been too busy with family medical stuff, stuff related to training related
                      > to my eyesight, and lately minor hearing issues!

                      !!

                      > I'd love to get out there, but I just don't have anyone here that can
                      > drive that far and would be interested in staying a little while.

                      Just tell 'em it's only a brief stop, then we can nail 'em with a
                      tranquilizer dart gun. That oughtta work! ;)

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Cory Smelosky
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2 7:28 PM

                        >>> Mine's closer, but you won't even come over here! ;)
                        >>
                        >> Been too busy with family medical stuff, stuff related to training related
                        >> to my eyesight, and lately minor hearing issues!
                        >
                        > !!

                        Working on getting an appointment to get the hearing taken care of,
                        though. Everything else is fine...just takes time for the people that
                        could give me a ride.

                        >> I'd love to get out there, but I just don't have anyone here that can
                        >> drive that far and would be interested in staying a little while.
                        >
                        > Just tell 'em it's only a brief stop, then we can nail 'em with a
                        > tranquilizer dart gun. That oughtta work! ;)

                        And get me booked for interstate kidnapping! ;)

                        Maybe if we meet in international waters...

                        --
                        Cory Smelosky
                        http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                        http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects
                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2 8:11 PM
                          >I have not heard from anyone about the Byte mags, teletype stand, or TI 99
                          >gear so I assume no one wants these.

                          I sent you a private e-mail and didn't hear back from you. Also I hope to
                          get there by 6 or so. I was interest in the Byte magazine. But wondered what
                          the deal was. You had offered them before and then suddenly changed your
                          mind. So what's the deal?

                          Jeff 3 Brace
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 3 5:11 AM
                            tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                            >I want to work on the PDP-11/44 or VAX-11/750. I'm bringing ready to run
                            >boot disks.

                            Do you have TU-58 bootloader tape for the 11/750. Depending upon the version
                            of VMS on that boot disk, you'll need an appropriate WCS file (cmt###). You
                            need CMT103, IIRC, for V5 and up.

                          • tedheadster
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 3 5:15 AM
                              I'm bringing an Emulex card (UC17) that makes scsi disks look like a UDA50 with RA81 disks. However, you're right, I don't have TU58 console media. Just hope it is to be found in the warehouse stock.

                              - Mtthew

                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 3 5:26 AM
                                tedheadster <whiteheadm@...> writes:

                                >I'm bringing an Emulex card (UC17) that makes scsi disks look like a UDA50
                                >with RA81 disks. However, you're right, I don't have TU58 console media.
                                >Just hope it is to be found in the warehouse stock.

                                OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it. It's
                                very likely that it was an 11/750 bootloader tape because I can't figure
                                what else I would have encountered over the years which had a TU58 to even
                                have this tape. It's contents, unknown. I never liked the 11/750 simply
                                because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 3 8:51 AM
                                  On 08/03/2013 08:26 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                  > I never liked the 11/750 simply
                                  > because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.

                                  Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                                  MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                                  I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                                  now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!

                                  The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                                  by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                                  which they're accessed.

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • Cory Smelosky
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 3 10:14 AM
                                    On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                    > On 08/03/2013 08:26 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                    >> I never liked the 11/750 simply
                                    >> because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.
                                    >
                                    > Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                                    > MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                                    > I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                                    > now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!

                                    More personality than a 730?

                                    > The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                                    > by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                                    > which they're accessed.

                                    I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 3 10:18 AM
                                      On 08/03/2013 01:14 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                      >>> I never liked the 11/750 simply
                                      >>> because it's boot process was so dreadfully and painstakingly slow.
                                      >>
                                      >> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                                      >> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                                      >> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                                      >> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
                                      >
                                      > More personality than a 730?

                                      They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

                                      >> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                                      >> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                                      >> which they're accessed.
                                      >
                                      > I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)

                                      Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
                                      BIT less painful. ;)

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • Cory Smelosky
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 3 10:18 AM

                                        >>> Aww, I love the 750. I was a sysadmin on one, along with a pair of
                                        >>> MicroVAX-3600s and a MicroVAX-II, for many years about 20 years ago.
                                        >>> I'll always have a soft spot for the 750, and I'm very happy to have one
                                        >>> now, although mine is not yet operational. They have personality!
                                        >>
                                        >> More personality than a 730?
                                        >
                                        > They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.

                                        Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

                                        Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                                        there.

                                        >>> The boot process can be sped up considerably, as you no doubt know,
                                        >>> by re-ordering the files on the console media to be in the order in
                                        >>> which they're accessed.
                                        >>
                                        >> I'm betting the 730 can't be sped up too much the same way, though. ;)
                                        >
                                        > Well...it'll still be as slow as pissing tar, but you can make it a
                                        > BIT less painful. ;)

                                        ;)

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 3 10:22 AM
                                          On 08/03/2013 01:18 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                                          >>> More personality than a 730?
                                          >>
                                          >> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
                                          >
                                          > Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)

                                          :-)

                                          > Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                                          > there.

                                          That will take some doing; I still need drives.

                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                          New Kensington, PA
                                        • Cory Smelosky
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Aug 3 10:23 AM

                                            >>> They all have lots of personality. Damn fine machines.
                                            >>
                                            >> Which is why I do really want to mess with one in person. ;)
                                            >
                                            > :-)
                                            >
                                            >> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                                            >> there.
                                            >
                                            > That will take some doing; I still need drives.

                                            Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                                            ;)

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Aug 3 10:28 AM
                                              On 08/03/2013 01:23 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
                                              >>> Along with your DEC-20s. It's be fun to get TOPS-10 running and on HECnet
                                              >>> there.
                                              >>
                                              >> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
                                              >
                                              > Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                                              > ;)

                                              No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                                              is in need of LOTS of work.

                                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                              New Kensington, PA
                                            • Cory Smelosky
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Aug 3 10:28 AM

                                                >>> That will take some doing; I still need drives.
                                                >>
                                                >> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                                                >> ;)
                                                >
                                                > No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                                                > is in need of LOTS of work.

                                                How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Aug 3 10:36 AM
                                                  On 08/03/2013 01:28 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

                                                  >>> Yeah, MASSBUS drives aren't quite as common as your stock 40G IDE drive.
                                                  >>> ;)
                                                  >>
                                                  >> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                                                  >> is in need of LOTS of work.
                                                  >
                                                  > How bad off is it? Motor failure?

                                                  Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                                  before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                  New Kensington, PA
                                                • Cory Smelosky
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Aug 3 10:37 AM

                                                    >>> No they aren't. The only one I have here, an RM03, is a big mess and
                                                    >>> is in need of LOTS of work.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                                                    >
                                                    > Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                                    > before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)

                                                    Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Aug 3 10:41 AM

                                                      >>> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                                      >>> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                                                      >>>

                                                      >> Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.
                                                      >
                                                      > Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                                                      > 9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                                                      Interesting. Yeah though, CDC did like to build things well. ;)

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Aug 3 10:42 AM

                                                        >>> How bad off is it? Motor failure?
                                                        >>
                                                        >> Very dirty, and rodent nest detritus. I've gotta get that cleaned up
                                                        >> before I can assess the condition of the motor. (and everything else)
                                                        >>

                                                        > Good thing a DEC drive would be well built and would likely survive that.

                                                        Yes. Well the RM03 was actually built by CDC (it's a rebadged CDC
                                                        9762) but still...CDC built things extremely well also.

                                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                        New Kensington, PA
                                                      • David Gesswein
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Aug 3 12:05 PM
                                                          On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 08:26:48AM -0400, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                                          > OK. I have an old TU58 tape here but I'm no certain what is on it.

                                                          How many people have TU58 tapes that are still useable? All the ones I have
                                                          the belt is stuck to the tape so if you move it oxide comes off where its
                                                          been sitting. I haven't tried baking or opening and trying to remove the
                                                          belt. They didn't have anything useful on them so I was just checking them
                                                          when someone was looking for some tapes. They had the same problem as the
                                                          person looking for them so they went back into storage for that mythical
                                                          point when I have lots of free time.