Re: anyone seen this old computer?

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2013
      My general impressions are, that this item may not be a computer, but it was something associated with either a computer or a computer-based instrument or controller. So possibly it's a debugger or tester. It's hard to tell.

      Given the history of the company based on references posted, it does not appear to me, to be a particularly important product to that company: they had many other products and did not depend on the "market failure" or not of this one product. And it does not look like something "marketed" at all, it's too simple for the 1980's when it was produced.

      Seems to me, some work with a TTL logic book and ohmmeter, would sort out the overall function and design (without creating a full schematic). Then the owner can decide if it's complete or needs a microprocessor to function at all. It doesn't seem to have "enough" to "be" the computer the front panel suggests.

      Also: further research about the company or products, may produce some interesting history, associate it with a product of interest, or find someone who knows more about it. My guess is that it's less likely to be something associated with anything particularly noteworthy, but anything is possible.

      It does represent a kind of design at a point in time - but it's odd that the design is 1970's but the parts are 1980's, so that affects HOW it represents that time and place, to me. If it were 1970's construction, then to me it would have more value.

      At some point, if it were mine, and it was NOT a noteworthy product: I'd decide whether to adapt it to some microcomputer kind of use or demonstration; to simply have it as a display artifact as it is; or to part it out. Work on it, depends on one's skills. As for parting it out - someone would buy it for more than the parts value for display, so I think many would prefer selling it.

      There was simply a lot of this kind of digital artifact around, through the 80's and 90's, so most of these things WERE parted out, and in many cases (not all) that was the best use of them. If now, things like this are so "rare" as a result, that they've become valuable - I'd like to hear about that!

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Andrew Molloy
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 3, 2013
        Thanks guys, for all the comments and the links. I hadn't been able to unearth much of anything up to now.

        Maybe I will bring it to the next VCF East in the spring. I haven't attempted to power it on, and my electronic skills are limited to causing Kaypros and Apple II power supplies to smoke. :)

        I'm going to try and contact Chuck Gregory (thanks Mike) and see if he can tell me more about it and the company. Looks like he was there a long time (11 years). If I learn anything interesting I'll post it here.

        Andy