Re: anyone seen this old computer?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31, 2013
      The first Apple II (1977 release) was done twice, first manually by a sub-contractor that apparently wasn't very good and then done over digitally. I think I heard that Jobs didn't like the artwork originally provided by the subcontractor. It could have been someone else or a team decision (more likely) to do it over. The do over cost Apple several months of time in digitizing the hand done artwork.

      I presume the final artwork was printed on a plotter from digital files. Whatever process they used, it supported diagonal lines.

      regards,
      Mike W.

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Jonas" <jeff_s_jonas@...> wrote:

      > > > Those boards are a work of art. Look at those layouts!
      >
      > > Yes, gorgeous. Those are hand-taped boards
      > > designed by someone who cared.
      >
      > I was disappointed by the book "the art of the engineer"
      > because it didn't have things
      > I considered the human touch in machinery,
      > such as decorative spokes inside wheels and gears.
      > Even lab equipment had style with decorated panels
      > (kinda like border decorations)
      > and meters with simple yet elegant pointers
      > that were probably inspired by clock hands.
      >
      > As to PC board layout, I remember a fellow
      > at a drafting table using red/blue for a 2 sided board
      > with photo separation for the 2 sides.
      > I have a few scraps of "rubylith": a peel-off
      > red plastic that was used for PC board design.
      > It was cut by hand (X-acto knife, compass with blade)
      > or by a plotter with a cutter
      > (similar to the hobby/craft decal cutters).
      >
      > PC board layout software of the 80s to 90s
      > was really horrible and looked it.
      > Only horizontal or vertical traces,
      > and later 45 degree, but no concept of curves.
      > Those PC boards are an eyesore :-(
      >
      > Even chip design in the 80s required HUGE color plots
      > for manual review.
      >
      > -- jeffj

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2013
        My general impressions are, that this item may not be a computer, but it was something associated with either a computer or a computer-based instrument or controller. So possibly it's a debugger or tester. It's hard to tell.

        Given the history of the company based on references posted, it does not appear to me, to be a particularly important product to that company: they had many other products and did not depend on the "market failure" or not of this one product. And it does not look like something "marketed" at all, it's too simple for the 1980's when it was produced.

        Seems to me, some work with a TTL logic book and ohmmeter, would sort out the overall function and design (without creating a full schematic). Then the owner can decide if it's complete or needs a microprocessor to function at all. It doesn't seem to have "enough" to "be" the computer the front panel suggests.

        Also: further research about the company or products, may produce some interesting history, associate it with a product of interest, or find someone who knows more about it. My guess is that it's less likely to be something associated with anything particularly noteworthy, but anything is possible.

        It does represent a kind of design at a point in time - but it's odd that the design is 1970's but the parts are 1980's, so that affects HOW it represents that time and place, to me. If it were 1970's construction, then to me it would have more value.

        At some point, if it were mine, and it was NOT a noteworthy product: I'd decide whether to adapt it to some microcomputer kind of use or demonstration; to simply have it as a display artifact as it is; or to part it out. Work on it, depends on one's skills. As for parting it out - someone would buy it for more than the parts value for display, so I think many would prefer selling it.

        There was simply a lot of this kind of digital artifact around, through the 80's and 90's, so most of these things WERE parted out, and in many cases (not all) that was the best use of them. If now, things like this are so "rare" as a result, that they've become valuable - I'd like to hear about that!

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Andrew Molloy
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2013
          Thanks guys, for all the comments and the links. I hadn't been able to unearth much of anything up to now.

          Maybe I will bring it to the next VCF East in the spring. I haven't attempted to power it on, and my electronic skills are limited to causing Kaypros and Apple II power supplies to smoke. :)

          I'm going to try and contact Chuck Gregory (thanks Mike) and see if he can tell me more about it and the company. Looks like he was there a long time (11 years). If I learn anything interesting I'll post it here.

          Andy