Women's Computer of the 80's

  • Wesley Furr
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2013
      Has anyone seen this one?

      I see it's not for real...but still pretty funny.

      Wesley

    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dEmWvVfEts
        > I see it's not for real...but still pretty funny.

        The Petticoat 5. LOL!
        I can tell it's a mockup because

        - it's not Barbie pink.
        There are Barbie computer accessories: mouse, kybd, etc.
        - no lipstick holders
        Some department store lipstick displays
        look just like Uhura's communications panel!
        - no lace, frills or Victoria's Secret styling
        - no decorative frame around the monitor
        - not even a matching table cloth!

        Just too many of the "woman's touches" are missing!
        Steampunk is all about romanticizing the industrial age.
        I fear///anticipate the MAKER movement advocating
        silly useless "personalization" of just about everything.
        Do we really need things like embroidered dust covers
        for the laptop or mouse?
        [that reminds me: with today's thin monitors,
        there's no top or side for accessories
        like a mouse holder]

        A long nails compliant keyboard would be MOST EXCELLENT
        for cashiers. I've seen several cashiers really struggle
        with the cash register mini-keyboard since those things
        are anything BUT ergonomic with their plain array of keys.
        A far cry from the old manual cash registers
        where Frequently-Used-Keys were raised on the outer edge.
        Multifunction touch screens actually HAMPER good operators
        because they cannot type ahead.

        cctalk has a thread about buckling "clickey key" keyboards
        and keycaps. Some vintage keyboards had a raised edge
        on the "enter" key so you could hit it with the
        side of your finger.
        I'm pissed that it was "value engineered" out :-(
        I'd simply replace the keycaps if that were still possible
        Yes, I have replacement keycaps
        such as some application specific ones
        for the IBM model M (perhaps F)
        and silly ones like a red "ANY" key.