Old Calculator(s) (& other engineering stuff)

  • m
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26 4:37 PM
      Greetings,

      I was wondering, before I start to go to Ebay and other places, if anybody here would be interested in old calculators & other engineering stuff.

      My dad was a draftsman and then an engineer in the power & mechanical field(s), and also a drafting teacher.. he worked from the early 1960s through to at least the 90s if not a bit later till he was no longer able to work. In addition, his dad was a carpenter/workshop teacher in the public school system and we have some earlier materials probably passed on from him, and other engineers before him. I had intended to keep and make some of it publicly available, but have finally decided to let a large percentage of it go as my plans have changed, and would like to get it into hands where it would be useful and appreciated, as well as help me build my new biz.

      As such, I have some earlier calculators from the early 1970s.. and plenty of engineering and drafting books, and some other materials.

      Right now the calculator I have available is a Summit SL-8M. This includes the box, the styrofoam packing, the instructions, the warranty card, the carrying case, and the AC adapter. It is in working condition and quite good cosmetically, practically like new except for some minor wear and tear to the packing materials.

      I will eventually be able to dig up my dad's other early 1970s calculators which include at very least a TI and an HP, but they are not in as good condition as this one.

      Let me know if you are interested in these or other engineering items. I will not bother the list with currently available books, or other materials, tools, periodicals or magazines.
      --
      MS
    • Jeff Jonas
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26 4:57 PM
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "m" <msimonsmail@...> wrote:
        > I was wondering, before I start to go to Ebay and other places, if anybody here would be interested in old calculators & other engineering stuff.

        Until CAD/CAM, engineers were draftsmen too.

        > My dad was a draftsman and then an engineer in the power & mechanical field(s), and also a drafting teacher.

        Power engineering is a fascinating field. I hope his books chronicle the growth of the US power grid.

        > we have some earlier materials probably passed on from him,
        > and other engineers before him.

        I adore vintage drafting tools and supplies. I'm unsure InfoAge has any group or display plans to include that, despite lotsa drafting occurring on the Army Base (puns intended: as in engineering drawings, involuntary recruitment, leaky windows and high altitude wind experiments).

        > I will eventually be able to dig up my dad's other early 1970s calculators which include at very least a TI and an HP, but they are not in as good condition as this one.

        I'm sure others have already replied with interest about HP calculators. They're still the cream of the crop.

        > Let me know if you are interested in these or other engineering items. I will not bother the list with currently available books, or other materials, tools, periodicals or magazines.

        Those "other materials" may be fascinating, at least to me.

        -- jeff jonas
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26 8:09 PM
          I am very, very much interested in HP calculators of any age.

          I work in one of three places pretty much all the time: Main
          office/desk, secondary desk, and the lab. In those locations I have a
          48SX, a 35S, and a 41CX, respectively. Great machines.

          -Dave

          On 07/26/2013 07:37 PM, m wrote:
          > Greetings,
          >
          > I was wondering, before I start to go to Ebay and other places, if anybody here would be interested in old calculators & other engineering stuff.
          >
          > My dad was a draftsman and then an engineer in the power & mechanical field(s), and also a drafting teacher.. he worked from the early 1960s through to at least the 90s if not a bit later till he was no longer able to work. In addition, his dad was a carpenter/workshop teacher in the public school system and we have some earlier materials probably passed on from him, and other engineers before him. I had intended to keep and make some of it publicly available, but have finally decided to let a large percentage of it go as my plans have changed, and would like to get it into hands where it would be useful and appreciated, as well as help me build my new biz.
          >
          > As such, I have some earlier calculators from the early 1970s.. and plenty of engineering and drafting books, and some other materials.
          >
          > Right now the calculator I have available is a Summit SL-8M. This includes the box, the styrofoam packing, the instructions, the warranty card, the carrying case, and the AC adapter. It is in working condition and quite good cosmetically, practically like new except for some minor wear and tear to the packing materials.
          >
          > I will eventually be able to dig up my dad's other early 1970s calculators which include at very least a TI and an HP, but they are not in as good condition as this one.
          >
          > Let me know if you are interested in these or other engineering items. I will not bother the list with currently available books, or other materials, tools, periodicals or magazines.
          > --
          > MS

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26 9:21 PM
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "m" <msimonsmail@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            >
            > I was wondering, before I start to go to Ebay and other places, if anybody here would be interested in old calculators & other engineering stuff.

            Hi MS.

            My collection is based around the electronics that was featured in Popular and Radio Electronics 1970 to 1979. There are many HP's in there, but I'm sure others here in the group have spoken for them already. If anything comes to mind, please let me know.

            Thanks
            Josh
          • m
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 27 12:02 PM
              While I appreciate ongoing conversations on these topics..[I really loved all the tools and technical information when I was younger] when I placed this... I meant for people to contact me privately (via email) with interest/offers/inquiries regarding any type of related materials you may be interested in. [Note: if I don't get back to your email feel free to try to contact me again... I don't use this email address often.. and tend to only search shortly after I post.. too much spam to this account.]

              No, nobody has claimed anything as far as I know in regards to anything. So don't assume anybody has! I would recommend that you take this tact with anything anybody posts to this list. Until someone says "XYZ is gone.. or John Doe has dibbs".. don't assume that people have!

              Also, in regards to the HP calculator.. I will say, first, it will be a while before I can drag it out of it's storage place.. it's not a high priority for me, and I need to find as much of it as I can.. I think I might have taken it apart as a child (but I'm sure it still works, it's probably just not the best cosmetically... I also want to see if I can find the packaging, instructions, ac adapter or anything..).

              Until then, I have plenty of books, trade magazines, the summit calculator, tools, etc.

              thanks
              --
              MS