Re: [midatlanticretro] Huge lot(s) of stuff for sale @ Aug. 3-4 workshop

    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      >>> Is there a way that we can submit "bids" in advance, privately, to
      >try to establish some order to the process?
      >
      >Order for everyone else -- more work for me. :(

      Sorry I mean directly with seller.
      Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
        >> Sorry I mean directly with seller.

        No. Seller has zero-to-little knowledge about this stuff. It was all her husband's. She is entrusting us to sell it on her behalf for fair prices. In exchange, we (the club) gets whatever it wants from this collection.
      • m
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
          > >> Is there a way that we can submit "bids" in advance, privately, to try to establish some order to the process?
          > Order for everyone else -- more work for me. :(

          Could an open silent bidding process take place utilizing the yahoo groups database feature to record possible bids/interest before the actual event?

          Someone could start a table and then people can put down their bids including each item, who is making the bid, what they are willing to pay, and if necessary if they would need to make other arrangements (pickup at another time, etc.)

          This way little to no extra work, participation by whomever wishes to participate prior to the event, and the ability for people who are unable to get there to note their potential interest/high offers so she can get the best she can for these items, and most if not all of it sold.

          --
          MS
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
            >> This way little to no extra work

            No, we're doing this the old-fashioned way. One reason is because we are unable to store things that do not sell, and the seller isn't interested in shipping many things individually.

            There's a chance (I don't know how much of a chance) that whatever does not sell may be offered by the seller again at our next event, whatever/whenever that is.
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013

              > >> This way little to no extra work
              >
              > No, we're doing this the old-fashioned way. One reason is because we are unable to store things that do not sell, and the seller isn't interested in shipping many things individually.
              >
              > There's a chance (I don't know how much of a chance) that whatever does not sell may be offered by the seller again at our next event, whatever/whenever that is.

              I just can't get over, what Evan is proposing here; on top of what's already poorly planned for next weekend. I've spent literally a few hours on a response. First, I thought "I'll post what would be some good plans". So that selling three-four dozen computers, doesn't compete with trying to FIX a few OTHER computers! Then I decided "why am I doing Evan's work for him? And why am I being a grumpy old man because of Evan's lack of planning?".

              Then I thought "at least I'll call out what a clown-car event this is going to be". But for most of us, no explanation is needed. For some including Evan - it just won't be a problem for them, they and Evan will simply ignore the issues or work around them.

              But I think I have to say something. Because I find I get tired of Evan's lack of planning, and his getting very proud of what other people do for him. When that gets to a certain point, I simply "blow a fuse" and just back off from MARCH. What other people choose to do, is their business, really. It's poor form for me to post trash-talk in MARCH's email list, however appropriate and considered it may be.

              So - Evan, I don't have time and energy for your repair event next week, not the circus it seems to be becoming. I decided not to explain that out, it's a long post that tries to do your planning for you. I've decided that's futile and you'd just take it poorly, however well deserved it may be. Making you look bad is counter productive, and it does not make me look good doing so.

              So I'll plan to be at the MARCH event next weekend, so I can complete some transactions with people I've already planned to do. If I can deal with whatever circus Evan has, I'll stick around and help others. If not, I won't. What other people do is entirely up to them. But I'm frankly an old man of sixty and have limited time and energy and willingness to risk them unnecessarily. Other people can make other choices, and more power to them if they can help each other and that poor woman, who is simply trying to get something out of her husband's legacy.

              Herb Johnson
              with my regrets
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 26, 2013
                >> what a clown-car event this is going to be

                Last time, we sold a large amount of MARCH equipment, and in no way (or at least not in any ways that anyone told me about) did it interfere with the repair work.

                This time, instead, we're going to sell a large amount of someone else's equipment -- because it's helping someone who really needs the help (and who helped the club); it's getting a bunch of good deals for our members/supporters; and it's preventing stuff from being scrapped.

                So we are simply replacing our stuff for-sale with someone else's. Granted, space might be a little bit tight. No biggie.

                >> Because I find I get tired of Evan's... getting very proud of what other people do for him.

                I don't know what that means. Are you saying I take credit for what others do, or that I don't do enough personally?
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                  Well it depends on which silent 700. The modem ones seem pretty common. The older rs232/current loop ones seem hard to find.

                  Cheers,
                  Corey

                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@> wrote:
                  > > the money, so please don't lowball her. (Nor should anyone make offers
                  > > here on the list. "Be there," or be square...)
                  > >

                  > I wish I could be there.. just too far for me to travel.
                  >
                  > I would like that Silent 700
                  >
                  > :)

                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 27, 2013
                      >> There are many times when I wanted to ring his neck ... but in the end everything works out well.

                      I'll try to see the positive in those remarks! :)

                      For the VCF, everyone knows that I spend six months or more, planning the snot out of every detail. But the workshops are the anti-VCF. The goal is for everyone to collaboratively repair computers, do some buying-selling-trading, and (most important of all) have fun.

                      I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend. Yes, even you Herb.

                      Good night all.
                    • Al Hartman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 3, 2013
                        A good time was had by all today. It was great to put faces to names from
                        the list.

                        I scored a TRS-80 Model 4D which seems to be working, and which I'm going to
                        upgrade to 128k.

                        A TRS-80 Model III which is not working, and has one floppy drive with a
                        broken, but repairable latch. My friend Tom and I will try to fix it.

                        And, a TRS-80 Model I 16k Level II Keyboard unit w/display to replace mine
                        which is in need of serious repair. This unit works great but has keybounce,
                        so I either have to replace the keyboard or clean the existing keyboard.

                        There's lots of equipment still there, and it would be great if it would
                        move. Lots of Apple II equipment, some Kaypros I saw, some Compaq and IBM
                        machines, books and software, and all sorts of odds and ends.

                        Jeff Brace has been great helping me with Commodore 64 matters, and now that
                        I have a working Model 4D, I'd like to assist anyone in the group with
                        TRS-80 things. If you're looking for boot disks for any model of TRS-80
                        (Model I/III/4) I may have them, and would be willing to duplicate them for
                        you at no charge. You send me blank disks and a pre-paid addressed return
                        envelope, and I'll make copies, test them and send them out to you.

                        I don't want TRS-80 software to disappear.

                        I'm going to be going through my TRS-80 collection and try to catalog what I
                        have. If you're looking for something, ask -- and I'll see if I have it. At
                        some point I'll figure out how to make disk images of my collection and
                        archive them on Hard disk or DVD.

                        Lots of fun to come.

                        Al Hartman
                      • David Riley
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 3, 2013
                          On Aug 3, 2013, at 10:18 PM, Al Hartman wrote:

                          > There's lots of equipment still there, and it would be great if it would
                          > move. Lots of Apple II equipment, some Kaypros I saw, some Compaq and IBM
                          > machines, books and software, and all sorts of odds and ends.

                          LOADS of old Macs, too. Pretty much everything from early IIs (including an original Mac II and a IIx) up through late OldWorld PPC models (there's an 8600/300 here). Quite a few of the more interesting models, like the IIci.

                          Also lots of fun for all!

                          - Dave
                        • corey986
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 4, 2013
                            So you don't feel bad about missing buying the silent 700...

                            I bought it for spare parts. It is a later model silent with RS232 only, no current loop and can only do 300 baud. Also parity can't be disabled. I already have one of the silent 700 series than can do 110/300 baud and rs232/current loop which makes when combined with a current loop tape reader/punch (which I have) a great replacement for a teletype, this one I got yesterday isn't as useful except for the print head and gears to keep my better one running.

                            Cheers,
                            Corey