re: [midatlanticretro] Taking offers on my high speed Facit 4070 Paper tape punch

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013

      > I have an alternate for punching now so why have two...
      >
      > The unit works at speeds up to 600 baud serial with no delays. They
      are selling on ebay for close to 1000, but since the case is in bad need of
      retrobrite and my chad box isn't in great shape (it works, but has clear
      tape on it over some cracks) I'm looking for $500 or OBO.

      > Figured before I put it on on eBay, i'd see if anyone in the group needs
      one. These things are the most rock solid punch out there, it can do mylar
      or paper. I wish I could keep it, but I need the space.

      corey
      This?
      http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/SpringMARCH/20130518_Workshop_FACIT
      _Punch.gif
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013
        B. Degnan wrote:
        > This?
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/pictures/2013/SpringMARCH/20130518_Workshop_
        > FACIT_Punch.gif

        I have to ask, why is there a paper plate full of (glitter?) in such
        close proximity to unprotected S100 memory cards? Seems kinda dangerous.

        Bill S.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013
          > I have to ask, why is there a paper plate full of (glitter?) in such
          > close proximity to unprotected S100 memory cards? Seems kinda
          dangerous.

          > Bill S.

          Evan was using glitter to make a nice house or something on a paper plate,
          with glue.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013
            >> Evan was using glitter to make a nice house or something on a paper plate, with glue.

            Hardy-har-har ... it's mylar chad.
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013
              B. Degnan wrote:
              > Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:31 AM
              > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Taking offers on my high speed Facit
              > 4070 Paper tape punch

              OK, now you've made me snort soda out my nose. I asked because of an
              unfortunate event (that I was not responsible for) when I worked for
              the Social Security Admin, a looooong time ago. They had a birthday
              party in the terminal area, just outside of the computer room. One of
              the secretaries brought glitter and started throwing it around. There
              was an unfiltered ventilation duct between the two areas and the glitter
              was carried through. Glitter is conductive. A small Wang OIS machine
              was written off because they could not get all of the glitter out of it.
              Oh, one last thing is that the terminal area was empty because the old
              mainframes had been replaced with minis and the terminals had been
              scattered out to various locations with the exception of a few that
              served as consoles and were in the computer room proper.

              Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > Hardy-har-har ... it's mylar chad.

              I figured something like that. I've never seen mylar paper tape. I
              assume that chad is not conductive.

              Bill S.
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 26, 2013
                Yep that one, I should have used the chad box, I just didn't bother. Thought the paper plate would catch them all. At home if I even tried to not use the chad box, i'd be killed by the wife.

                Cheers,
                Corey