OT: Mac OS 9 OpenGL Driver dev guides?

  • David Riley
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
      I'm going to call this "classic by fiat", since Apple has decided
      that it's "vintage" enough to have stripped most of the content
      from its website by now, though it's not clear that any of this
      was ever easily available there to begin with.

      I'm looking for any guides, sample code, etc. on developing OpenGL
      drivers for Mac OS 9, since an evening with Google has proven
      mostly fruitless. I've found plenty on developing OS 9 OpenGL
      *applications*, but I'm looking for even just a reference for the
      hooks that need to go into the driver. So far, I've come up
      pretty empty.

      I always have the option of reverse-engineering existing drivers,
      since I have a copy of IDA Pro, but that's obviously a BIG time
      commitment.

      Anyone have such a thing in their possession or know to whom I
      should speak? I'll be posting this on a few lists/forums.

      - Dave
    • David Keith
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
        During my daily crawl of ebay for Vintage Computer parts; I came across these beauties.  I personally would not pay $1500 for them but I would really like to reverse engineer them to get the circuit diagrams

        RARE Vintage IBM Vacuum Tube Computer Plug-In Modules Units

        http://www.ebay.com/itm/190874555857

        Check it out.
        Dave

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013

          > During my daily crawl of ebay for Vintage Computer parts; I came across
          these beauties. I personally would not pay $1500 for them but I would
          really like to reverse engineer them to get the circuit diagrams

          > RARE Vintage IBM Vacuum Tube Computer Plug-In Modules Units
          >
          > http://www.ebay.com/itm/190874555857
          >
          > Check it out.
          > Dave

          Similar but not exactly like the UNIVAC II plug board of the same era
          http://vintagecomputer.net/vcfmw-ECCC_2012/Mainframe_Module_Exhibit_10.JPG

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 24, 2013
            >> I would really like to reverse engineer them to get the circuit diagrams

            MARCH has a tube module from an undetermined model of 1950s UNIVAC and another from an Electrodata/Burroughs B-205. You're welcome to examine them -- very, very carefully -- if you come visit the museum when I am there.
          • David Keith
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
              Thank you, very tempting !!! but I try to limit my craziness to vintage IBM stuff.  LOL  Although, hmmm don't you have an ENIAC half adder also in the collection?

              I'm down in VA outside of DC, it would be a very long trip yo visit the museum.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
                >> Although, hmmm don't you have an ENIAC half adder also in the collection?

                No. Someone donated what they thought was an ENIAC module, but it's not. I know this because the module is labeled Engineering Research Associates. Remington bought ERA, then bought UNIVAC, and then merged ERA into UNIVAC. So at best the module is from an early UNIVAC; at worst it's from a rather non-important ERA machine. Still cool, though!
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
                  On 07/26/2013 10:26 PM, David Keith wrote:
                  > I'm down in VA outside of DC, it would be a very long trip yo visit the
                  > museum.

                  Heh. Lightweight. ;)

                  But seriously, the museum is worth the trip.

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
                    >>> I'm down in VA outside of DC, it would be a very long trip yo visit the museum.

                    We have several club members in MD/VA who visit a few times per year. Perhaps you could share a ride one day. It's only, what, 3 or 3.5 hours?
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 26, 2013
                      On 07/26/2013 11:12 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                      > We have several club members in MD/VA who visit a few times per year. Perhaps you could share a ride one day. It's only, what, 3 or 3.5 hours?

                      Should be about 3, and not a tough drive at all unless he hits
                      traffic on 95 between DC and Baltimore, or going through Philadelphia.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                        Dave McGuire wrote:
                        > Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 11:14 PM
                        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Wow !! Where did this come from ??

                        > visit the museum.
                        > >
                        > > We have several club members in MD/VA who visit a few times per year.
                        > Perhaps you could share a ride one day. It's only, what, 3 or 3.5
                        > hours?
                        >
                        > Should be about 3, and not a tough drive at all unless he hits
                        > traffic on 95 between DC and Baltimore, or going through Philadelphia.

                        Actually, the horror used to be 95 through Delaware, perpetual construction.
                        But the last couple of time I've made the trip they have just about
                        finished.

                        Bill S.
                      • Ray Sills
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                          On Jul 27, 2013, at 2:20 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:

                          > Dave McGuire wrote:
                          >> Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 11:14 PM
                          >> To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          >> Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Wow !! Where did this come from ??

                          >> visit the museum.
                          >>>
                          >>> We have several club members in MD/VA who visit a few times per
                          >>> year.
                          >> Perhaps you could share a ride one day. It's only, what, 3 or 3.5
                          >> hours?
                          >>
                          >> Should be about 3, and not a tough drive at all unless he hits
                          >> traffic on 95 between DC and Baltimore, or going through
                          >> Philadelphia.
                          >
                          > Actually, the horror used to be 95 through Delaware, perpetual
                          > construction.
                          > But the last couple of time I've made the trip they have just about
                          > finished.
                          >
                          > Bill S.

                          And coming up from the south, you'd likely want to exit I-95 in North
                          Delaware via the Delaware Memorial Bridge to take I-295 north.. using
                          it (or the NJTP) to get to I-195 east past the Garden State Parkway,
                          where I-195 morphs into route 138. Then a quick mile north on RT 18,
                          and you are in the shadow of Info-Age.

                          So, you would then avoid I-95's portion that passes through Philly.

                          73 de Ray
                        • Christopher Blackmon
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                            One of these years.. I hope to make it up there... but it's kind of a haul from Raleigh  :-)
                            Christopher.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                              Thanks Guys, I will keep that task in virtual storage, and swap it in sometime soon.

                              Over last winter, I had an hardware upgrade in two of my peripheral units, they are working well, but there are some supply issues with my drives >2 hours.  Hopefully I will get the supply issues resolved, and will be able to wonder on up there after Thanksgiving to drop into the museum, and then take in a show downtown. :-)

                              //SYSIN DD *
                              David Keith
                              */
                              //

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                                >> Hopefully I ... will be able to wonder on up there after Thanksgiving

                                Our club's annual "Festivus" party is usually in early-mid December.

                                >> and then take in a show downtown. :-)

                                Downtown? Not sure where you mean. There isn't much of one in Wall, NJ.
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                                  On Sat, 27 Jul 2013, David Keith wrote:

                                  > //SYSIN DD *
                                  >
                                  > David Keith
                                  > */
                                  > //

                                  //EXEC FWCG

                                  :-)

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • David Keith
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 27, 2013
                                    OK the Festivus Party is a date, let me when and I will plan on it.

                                    Take in a show downtown NYC, and see the tree :-)