Re: Look what Corey did!

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
      The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
      > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
      > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
      > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
      > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
      > a very quick process with the chip tester.
      > >

      > Corey,
      > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
      > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
      > learn how to use a scope.
      > BIll

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
        On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

        >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
        > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
        > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
        > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
        > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
        > a very quick process with the chip tester.
        >>

        > Corey,
        > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
        > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
        > learn how to use a scope.

        Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
        out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013