re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Look what Corey did!

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18 6:02 AM

      > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
      copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
      a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
      tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
      scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
      a very quick process with the chip tester.

      Corey,
      Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
      is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
      learn how to use a scope.
      BIll
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 18 6:26 AM
        The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
        > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
        > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
        > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
        > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
        > a very quick process with the chip tester.
        > >

        > Corey,
        > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
        > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
        > learn how to use a scope.
        > BIll

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18 6:37 AM
          On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

          >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
          > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
          > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
          > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
          > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
          > a very quick process with the chip tester.
          >>

          > Corey,
          > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
          > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
          > learn how to use a scope.

          Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
          out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18 9:47 AM
          • corey986
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20 11:44 AM