Has anyone seen an S-100 PDP-8 Emulator Board?

  • equalizer700
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 18 5:13 AM
      In the very early 80's I was associated with a company, I.E. Systems of Newmarket, NH, that produced an S-100 board with a PDP-8 emulator on it. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this board, or has one? I have no idea how many were made or sold.
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 18 10:48 AM
        On 07/18/2013 08:13 AM, equalizer700 wrote:
        > In the very early 80's I was associated with a company, I.E. Systems
        > of Newmarket, NH, that produced an S-100 board with a PDP-8 emulator
        > on it. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this board, or has one?
        > I have no idea how many were made or sold.

        I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
        a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Kelly D. Leavitt
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 18 10:53 AM
          On 07/18/2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
          > I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
          > a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!
          I've gotta ask, whose kidney?
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 18 10:57 AM
            On 07/18/2013 01:53 PM, Kelly D. Leavitt wrote:
            > On 07/18/2013, Dave McGuire wrote:
            >> I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
            >> a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!
            > I've gotta ask, whose kidney?

            YOURS. ;)

            --
            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 18 11:22 AM
              > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Has anyone seen an S-100 PDP-8 Emulator
              Board?

              > On 07/18/2013 08:13 AM, equalizer700 wrote:
              > > In the very early 80's I was associated with a company, I.E. Systems
              > > of Newmarket, NH, that produced an S-100 board with a PDP-8 emulator
              > > on it. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this board, or has one?
              > > I have no idea how many were made or sold.
              >
              > I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
              > a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!
              >
              > -Dave

              Wouldn't it just be a CPU card with an Intersil 6100 (rather than
              Z80/8080..?)
              Bill
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 18 11:39 AM
                B. Degnan wrote:

                > Wouldn't it just be a CPU card with an Intersil 6100 (rather than
                > Z80/8080..?)
                > Bill

                Ohio Scientific had a CPU card with both on it (Z80 and Intersil).
                An OSI dealer I talked to a few years ago said he refused to sell
                them because they were a misery and never worked right. I've
                never seen one but I'd love to get one.

                Bill S.
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 18 11:43 AM
                  On 07/18/2013 02:22 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
                  >>> In the very early 80's I was associated with a company, I.E. Systems
                  >>> of Newmarket, NH, that produced an S-100 board with a PDP-8 emulator
                  >>> on it. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this board, or has one?
                  >>> I have no idea how many were made or sold.
                  >>
                  >> I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
                  >> a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!
                  >
                  > Wouldn't it just be a CPU card with an Intersil 6100 (rather than
                  > Z80/8080..?)

                  I suppose it certainly could be. And I could put one of those
                  together; I even have the chips. Time is the problem.

                  But I was actually talking about back then, early 1980s, when I was
                  running (and adoring!) both S-100 and PDP-8 systems regularly. (I still
                  have both of those systems :-))

                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 18 12:17 PM

                    > But I was actually talking about back then, early 1980s, when I was
                    > running (and adoring!) both S-100 and PDP-8 systems regularly. (I still

                    > have both of those systems :-))

                    FIELD SERVICE PDP-8 DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM . . . VERSION 8.03

                    OS/8 V3D DECX8 REV. D

                    RESTART ADDRESS =07600

                    TYPE C TO ABORT THIS PRINTOUT

                    TYPE:
                    .R PROGNAME - TO RUN A SYSTEM PROGRAM
                    .R PROGNAME.DG - TO RUN A DIAGNOSTIC PROGRAM
                    .HELP FILENAME - TO TYPE A HELP FILE ON THE TERMINAL
                    .HELP FILENAME - L - TO LIST A HELP FILE ON THE LINE PRINTER
                    .SU BOOK - TO PRINT A COPY OF THE DIAG. HELP FILES

                    "FILENAME" / "PROGNAME" = THE FILE OR PROGRAM TO LIST OR RUN

                    .DIR RKB1:*.FC

                    HELP .FC 6 ADDEX .FC 2 PLOTER.FC 5
                    CATLOG.FC 3 BARON .FC 6 POLAR .FC 4
                    FADTES.FC 1 TRIANG.FC 4 GRAPH .FC 5
                    INTRST.FC 3 CALNDR.FC 3 HARMON.FC 4
                    CHISQR.FC 5 HANGMN.FC 5 WEB .FC 3
                    STAT1 .FC 6 HANOI .FC 5 BTLSHP.FC 7
                    STAT2 .FC 5

                    322 FREE BLOCKS

                    .R PFOCAL

                    DO YOU WANT THE STANDARD FEATURES OF PS/8 FOCAL, 1971? Y

                    PROCEED.
                  • Burning Image
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 18 12:19 PM
                      Yeah!  I'd sell one of Dave's kidneys to get one, too...

                      >  I've never heard of that (which surprises me, being both an S-100 and
                      >a PDP-8 guy), but I can tell you I'd sell a kidney for one!
                      >
                      >             -Dave
                      > class="Apple-style-span" style="font-size: 19px;">

                      In all seriousness, I may remember an S-100 board in the 70's with an Intersil 6100 on it.  At the time, there was a single-board computer build around one, plus at least 2 systems on the market.  I'll peruse some old Byte, Kilobaud and Interface Age issues to see if I can locate an ad for this specific thing.

                      Cory - WA3UVV

                    • Bill Sudbrink
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 18 12:22 PM
                        The trick to putting the 6100 on an S-100 bus is that the 6100
                        (like the PDP8) wants a 12-bit data bus. OSI actually had 12
                        bits on their bus, but S-100 only has 8. Of course IEEE696
                        solves that.

                        Bill S.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 18 12:24 PM
                          >> I'll peruse some old Byte, Kilobaud and Interface Age issues to see if I can locate an ad for this specific thing.

                          Every issue from Vol. 1, #1 until Dec. '79 of those magazines -- plus Creative Computing, DDJ, etc. -- are all neatly cataloged in our museum.
                        • s100doctor
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 21 6:34 PM
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "equalizer700" <equalizer700@...> wrote:

                            > In the very early 80's I was associated with a company, I.E. Systems of Newmarket, NH, that produced an S-100 board with a PDP-8 emulator on it. I'm wondering if anyone here has seen this board, or has one? I have no idea how many were made or sold.

                            Can you describe your company a bit more? What years did you work there? When did they produce the board? Do you recall the model name or number, any features? Who worked there, who owned the company? any other products? Any of that information may help to find their products.

                            Herb Johnson
                          • equalizer700
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 22 7:43 PM
                              I worked for (owned) a different company (Micro-Integration, Inc.) and we did some projects (not this one) with I.E. Systems. We bought the company (I.E.) in the mid '80's long after the PDP-8 board. What we did do together were boards and software for connecting microcomputers to IBM mainframes via 3270 coax and 5250 twinax. The first boards were S-100, and later they were for the IBM PC. The PC brand name was BlueLynx.

                              The PDP-8 S-100 board was in 1979-1981, before the IBM PC. I.E. Systems also did a ROM chip for the SuperBrain somewhere around 1981 that gave it special qualities (don't remember what).

                              I'm trying to get in touch with the guy who designed the PDP-8 board. I have a friend who may have his contact info. I'll get back to the group with more info when I get it.