Re: Look what Corey did!

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
      Yep, from my iPhone 5.

      Trust me you don't want me dragging out the D3 to take pictures. You'll force Evan to wash the table cloth LOL...

      Well to give a quick summary of what I did...

      I finally got some time to work on the museum Sol-20 to get the cassette interface up and running. I replaced the smaller 18000uf capacitor in the power supply. When I first started troublshooting I replaced a couple of obviously bad chips that my scope pointed out and then couldn't get the PLL working right. Back in early June, when i started working on it, there seemed to be a lot of noise on the supply. So the cap had to be replaced before I could even move to the next step of troubleshooting.

      Now the supply was clean but I still couldn't get a a successful load...

      So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was a very quick process with the chip tester.

      Next up I need to simply replace a couple of screws and restain the sides of the machine and we are done. I have to be careful with the case. This is the one Lee signed so no repainting is happening.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013

        > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
        copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
        a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
        tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
        scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
        a very quick process with the chip tester.

        Corey,
        Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
        is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
        learn how to use a scope.
        BIll
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
          The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
          > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
          > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
          > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
          > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
          > a very quick process with the chip tester.
          > >

          > Corey,
          > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
          > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
          > learn how to use a scope.
          > BIll

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
            On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

            >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
            > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
            > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
            > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
            > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
            > a very quick process with the chip tester.
            >>

            > Corey,
            > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
            > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
            > learn how to use a scope.

            Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
            out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013