RE: [midatlanticretro] Look what Corey did!

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17 4:15 PM
      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

      >This is one of MARCH's SOL-20 systems:
      >http://www.snarc.net/sol-SI.jpeg
      >
      >Note to myself -- get rid of the whiteboard sitting behind the table....

      Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17 4:26 PM
        > Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

        Corey sent that picture to me, presumably from his iPhone.
      • corey986
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18 2:58 AM
          Yep, from my iPhone 5.

          Trust me you don't want me dragging out the D3 to take pictures. You'll force Evan to wash the table cloth LOL...

          Well to give a quick summary of what I did...

          I finally got some time to work on the museum Sol-20 to get the cassette interface up and running. I replaced the smaller 18000uf capacitor in the power supply. When I first started troublshooting I replaced a couple of obviously bad chips that my scope pointed out and then couldn't get the PLL working right. Back in early June, when i started working on it, there seemed to be a lot of noise on the supply. So the cap had to be replaced before I could even move to the next step of troubleshooting.

          Now the supply was clean but I still couldn't get a a successful load...

          So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was a very quick process with the chip tester.

          Next up I need to simply replace a couple of screws and restain the sides of the machine and we are done. I have to be careful with the case. This is the one Lee signed so no repainting is happening.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18 6:02 AM

            > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
            copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
            a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
            tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
            scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
            a very quick process with the chip tester.

            Corey,
            Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
            is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
            learn how to use a scope.
            BIll
          • corey986
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18 6:26 AM
              The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

              Cheers,
              Corey

              > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
              > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
              > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
              > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
              > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
              > a very quick process with the chip tester.
              > >

              > Corey,
              > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
              > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
              > learn how to use a scope.
              > BIll

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18 6:37 AM
                On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
                > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
                > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
                > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
                > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
                > a very quick process with the chip tester.
                >>

                > Corey,
                > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
                > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
                > learn how to use a scope.

                Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
                out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18 9:47 AM
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20 11:44 AM