Look what Corey did!

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17, 2013
      This is one of MARCH's SOL-20 systems:
      http://www.snarc.net/sol-SI.jpeg

      Note to myself -- get rid of the whiteboard sitting behind the table....
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2013
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >This is one of MARCH's SOL-20 systems:
        >http://www.snarc.net/sol-SI.jpeg
        >
        >Note to myself -- get rid of the whiteboard sitting behind the table....

        Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17, 2013
          > Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

          Corey sent that picture to me, presumably from his iPhone.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
            Yep, from my iPhone 5.

            Trust me you don't want me dragging out the D3 to take pictures. You'll force Evan to wash the table cloth LOL...

            Well to give a quick summary of what I did...

            I finally got some time to work on the museum Sol-20 to get the cassette interface up and running. I replaced the smaller 18000uf capacitor in the power supply. When I first started troublshooting I replaced a couple of obviously bad chips that my scope pointed out and then couldn't get the PLL working right. Back in early June, when i started working on it, there seemed to be a lot of noise on the supply. So the cap had to be replaced before I could even move to the next step of troubleshooting.

            Now the supply was clean but I still couldn't get a a successful load...

            So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was a very quick process with the chip tester.

            Next up I need to simply replace a couple of screws and restain the sides of the machine and we are done. I have to be careful with the case. This is the one Lee signed so no repainting is happening.

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013

              > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
              copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
              a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
              tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
              scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
              a very quick process with the chip tester.

              Corey,
              Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
              is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
              learn how to use a scope.
              BIll
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
                The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

                Cheers,
                Corey

                > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
                > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
                > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
                > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
                > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
                > a very quick process with the chip tester.
                > >

                > Corey,
                > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
                > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
                > learn how to use a scope.
                > BIll

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
                  On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                  >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
                  > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
                  > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
                  > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
                  > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
                  > a very quick process with the chip tester.
                  >>

                  > Corey,
                  > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
                  > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
                  > learn how to use a scope.

                  Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
                  out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18, 2013
                  • corey986
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 20, 2013