Look what Corey did!

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 17 4:09 PM
      This is one of MARCH's SOL-20 systems:
      http://www.snarc.net/sol-SI.jpeg

      Note to myself -- get rid of the whiteboard sitting behind the table....
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17 4:15 PM
        Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

        >This is one of MARCH's SOL-20 systems:
        >http://www.snarc.net/sol-SI.jpeg
        >
        >Note to myself -- get rid of the whiteboard sitting behind the table....

        Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 17 4:26 PM
          > Note to Evan -- get a camera! :P

          Corey sent that picture to me, presumably from his iPhone.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18 2:58 AM
            Yep, from my iPhone 5.

            Trust me you don't want me dragging out the D3 to take pictures. You'll force Evan to wash the table cloth LOL...

            Well to give a quick summary of what I did...

            I finally got some time to work on the museum Sol-20 to get the cassette interface up and running. I replaced the smaller 18000uf capacitor in the power supply. When I first started troublshooting I replaced a couple of obviously bad chips that my scope pointed out and then couldn't get the PLL working right. Back in early June, when i started working on it, there seemed to be a lot of noise on the supply. So the cap had to be replaced before I could even move to the next step of troubleshooting.

            Now the supply was clean but I still couldn't get a a successful load...

            So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was a very quick process with the chip tester.

            Next up I need to simply replace a couple of screws and restain the sides of the machine and we are done. I have to be careful with the case. This is the one Lee signed so no repainting is happening.

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 18 6:02 AM

              > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
              copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
              a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
              tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
              scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
              a very quick process with the chip tester.

              Corey,
              Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
              is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
              learn how to use a scope.
              BIll
            • corey986
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18 6:26 AM
                The only chip it didn't handle was the CMOS PLL. But I checked that with a scope anyway since all the discrete components can effect a PLL and even small variances in the chips performance need allocating for. That's why the sol actually has a calibration procedure when you change the PLL chip. They all behave slightly different, especially older ones when quality control was a little more lax.

                Cheers,
                Corey

                > > So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
                > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
                > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
                > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
                > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
                > a very quick process with the chip tester.
                > >

                > Corey,
                > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
                > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
                > learn how to use a scope.
                > BIll

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 18 6:37 AM
                  On Thu, 18 Jul 2013, B. Degnan wrote:

                  >> So I took my brand new handy dandy Leaper chip tester I just bought and a
                  > copy of the schematics and followed the circuit testing each chip. I found
                  > a couple of chips that looked ok on the scope but failed when cycled on the
                  > tester (I'm sure if I spent more time on it I would have found it with the
                  > scope). Swapped them out and now we have a fully working Sol-20. This was
                  > a very quick process with the chip tester.
                  >>

                  > Corey,
                  > Is the Leaper tester able to handle all the TTL chips of the SOL? Not only
                  > is this a great thing to have, but it would also be a great thing to use to
                  > learn how to use a scope.

                  Is this the Leaper-1A? The only two prices I saw were $295 (MCU Mall,
                  out of stock), and $320 (Microcontroller Pros).

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 18 9:47 AM
                  • corey986
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 20 11:44 AM