Re: Identifying Unknown Board

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15 8:55 PM

      > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
      > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
      >
      > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
      >
      > Kyle

      Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?

      Nice source for some ZIF sockets.

      Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?

      :)J
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16 5:55 PM

        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
        > > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
        > >
        > > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
        > >
        > > Kyle
        >
        > Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?
        >
        > Nice source for some ZIF sockets.
        >
        > Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?
        >
        > :)J

        It is from a PM9075 EPROM programmer made by Pro-Log Corporation in Monterey, California. I will ask one of the founders of Pro-Log when it was made. The manual is on Bitsavers.