Re: [midatlanticretro] Identifying Unknown Board

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
      On 07/15/2013 10:56 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds
      > me of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard
      > to tell.
      >
      > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy

      Yeah I'd guess it's a gang programmer. No clue as to make though.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013

        > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
        > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
        >
        > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
        >
        > Kyle

        Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?

        Nice source for some ZIF sockets.

        Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?

        :)J
      • Michael
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2013

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
          > > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
          > >
          > > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
          > >
          > > Kyle
          >
          > Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?
          >
          > Nice source for some ZIF sockets.
          >
          > Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?
          >
          > :)J

          It is from a PM9075 EPROM programmer made by Pro-Log Corporation in Monterey, California. I will ask one of the founders of Pro-Log when it was made. The manual is on Bitsavers.