Identifying Unknown Board

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
      Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.

      Kyle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013
        On 07/15/2013 10:56 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds
        > me of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard
        > to tell.
        >
        > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy

        Yeah I'd guess it's a gang programmer. No clue as to make though.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2013

          > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
          > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
          >
          > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
          >
          > Kyle

          Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?

          Nice source for some ZIF sockets.

          Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?

          :)J
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 16, 2013

            > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Owen <kylevowen@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can anyone identify the make and purpose of this board? Almost reminds me
            > > of an EPROM programmer, but with only sockets and no ICs, it's hard to tell.
            > >
            > > http://imgur.com/a/MDgwy
            > >
            > > Kyle
            >
            > Yeah, a programmer. My guess is the empty sockets should hold some logic chips, but someone removed them. Also, I would guess that this is a gang program adaptor unit for a larger system. On it's own, it can't do anything. It probably connects via the 40 pin socket (via ribbon cable & 40 pin headers) to a master unit. The 28 pin socket on it's own, would take a "master" ROM, the 8 other sockets would then be programmed with a copy. Lights go ON/OFF when done programming & verified. Mid 80's?
            >
            > Nice source for some ZIF sockets.
            >
            > Put a search on ebay, perhaps in time, someone sells the base unit?
            >
            > :)J

            It is from a PM9075 EPROM programmer made by Pro-Log Corporation in Monterey, California. I will ask one of the founders of Pro-Log when it was made. The manual is on Bitsavers.