Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Rescuing a circuit board from leaking batteries
- Well it was a NiCd batter not an alkaline or Lithium.Matt
Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 15, 2013, at 3:33 PM, joshbensadon <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
--- In email@example.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
> battery on it that of course leaked... Are there any good methods for
> removing the nastiness?
> Baking soda kind of works, but I have not had much luck with leaked
> batteries on a mobo. Using a wirebrush as long as you don't hurt the
> board. Really, to be sure you have to de-solder all of the components that
> are effected, put in new ones. Test the continuity, etc. ugh.
I agree with Bill. I haven't found a miracle solution for leaking acid. I haven't looked for one either? I take it all apart, remove affected parts for proper cleaning. Clean with 99.99% alcohol. Add baking soda to tooth brush while scrubbing to neutralize. Then blow dry with canned air. No easy fix.
- On Jul 15, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:
>Right, so also be careful to keep that stuff away from your skin. Cadmium is an extremely poisonous (albeit also extremely useful) metal, much worse for you than lead. Closer to the toxicity level of mercury. Wear decently thick kitchen gloves while you clean it and then throw them out (or, ideally, dispose of them properly, whatever that means around you).
> Well it was a NiCd batter not an alkaline or Lithium.
Interesting reading: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2013/05/08/things_i_wont_work_with_dimethylcadmium.php (not really about the kind of cadmium contents you find in batteries, though it does have lots of interesting quips about various other cadmium compounds)
- --- In firstname.lastname@example.org, David Riley <fraveydank@...> wrote:
>DO NOT throw them in the regular land fill. Check your area for hazardous waste disposal. In my area, the City has a collection depot and/or Radio Shack (now called The Source) has a safe disposal program.
> On Jul 15, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:
> > Well it was a NiCd batter not an alkaline or Lithium.
>then throw them out (or, ideally, dispose of them properly, whatever that means around you).
> - Dave
Drop it off there, and they will send it to the land fill (joking).
- I'm wondering the same thing...I've got an old Sperry XT machine (apparently
made by Mitsubishi) that amazingly enough had a NiCd battery on board...but
has leaked a little bit, leaving behind a bright blue trail. Not a lot, but
I figure it needs something to at least stop it from getting worse. I
haven't tried powering it on yet. Got too many things on the "round tuit"
Sounds like Baking soda is the best bet? Any other thoughts?
I am working on an AT&T 55C terminal, the main mother board has a NiCd
battery on it that of course leaked... Are there any good methods for
removing the nastiness?
- --- In email@example.com, Matt Patoray <mspproductions@...> wrote:
>Some of the discussion seems to center on whether the battery was NiCd and the toxic consequences of that. It may or may not be NiCd, it may be some other material, unless you can clearly identify the brand and model of battery. Batteries in general are not excessively toxic; use "rubber" gloves if you are concerned while removing the debris, and put the remains in a plastic bag and turn them over to a recycling facility. YOu can find specific disposal directions for specific types of batteries.
> I am working on an AT&T 55C terminal, the main mother board has a NiCd battery on it that of course leaked... Are there any good methods for removing the nastiness?
The general problem with decayed batteries is that the active contents will corrode copper traces and components. Also, removing the debris from the board will also damage components. The most benign cleaner is soap and water, and a soft (they have grades of soft and medium and firm) NEW toothbrush, used with care. After that, there are solvent-based cleaners or dilluted solvents. People have their favorites, I don't think any of them will react awfully to batteries contents of any sort.
Once the bulk of debris is removed, you can look at the board and see the damage. Look VERY closely, as you may find corroded solder connections or corroded pins on surface-mounted chips, and damage some distance from the battery. Copper oxides are of course, green or blue-green. Remote damage is because years of small currents from the battery ALSO corrode copper and therefore damage components. It's a VERY VERY good idea to remove ANY battery from any computer in storage - period.
Computers of the 1970's have large traces and most will survive a lot of corrosion and traces can be repaired. Post-1980's computers with surface-mount chips and tiny traces and multilayer boards, often will NOT. 68K Apple Macs are a good example of the latter, with their PRAM batteries creating all kinds of damage after decades on-board.