M9312 Diagnostic PROM for PDP-11/24 (23-774F1)

  • Christian R. Fandt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 13, 2013
      Attention DEC PDP-11 mavens:

      A fellow had recently contacted me based upon an ancient ClassicCmp posting
      of mine (from 1998) asking if I still had my 11/24. Unfortunately, no. I
      gave it away back in '99 or 2000 I think.

      There was a diagnostic ROM on that 9312 boot module in my machine numbered
      23-774F1 of which I asked the C'Cmp list about. Back then I could not find
      anything at all on that part, i.e., what diags it did, other functions,etc.

      I also had no PROM programmer back then by which to harvest the source
      code. So, the machine sat fallow for future restoration until I really
      needed the space it took up and found it another home. (Besides, sitting in
      an unheated garage thru Western New York winters was NOT a Good Thing)

      The fellow who'd contacted me has an 11/24 with that PROM and is looking
      for the same info I once had been.

      So, I'm asking here if there is anyone who may have knowledge of this
      device in any way (actual part, source listing, etc.)?

      Al Kossow referred us to Don North's excellent 9312 module page
      at http://www.ak6dn.dyndns.org/PDP-11/M9312/ but 23-774F1 was not shown.
      Could it have been a special order part thru DEC (a one-off)? The machine
      had an inventory asset tag from a university somewhere near the Gulf Coast
      (can't recall who now), but the provenance is not exactly known from there
      to the company from which I'd rescued the thing back in July '98.

      Thanks for any help you could provide!

      Regards,
      -Chris F.

      Christian R. Fandt, Electronic/Electrical Historian
      Jamestown, NY USA cfandt@...
      Member of Antique Wireless Association
        I have a m9312..will check docs and cables next time I am home. I might just have what you need...?
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2013
          There was a diagnostic ROM on that 9312 boot module in my machine numbered
          23-774F1 of which I asked the C'Cmp list about. Back then I could not find
          anything at all on that part, i.e., what diags it did, other functions,etc.

          <snip>

          The fellow who'd contacted me has an 11/24 with that PROM and is looking for
          the same info I once had been.

          So, I'm asking here if there is anyone who may have knowledge of this device
          in any way (actual part, source listing, etc.)?

          -----------------

          Chris:

          Short answer - It's probably a newer ROM that is not in many M9312 docs, you
          need to find the addendum to the orig doc, or a relatively rare article/doc
          that talks about using an older ROM card in a newer 11/24 system. This
          would not have been a typical coupling in the early-mid 80's

          As you probably already know the last two chars of a M9312 ROM indicates its
          function. F1 = console emulator and diagnostic routine. The last two chars
          for a boot ROM is A9.

          Based on this and older ROM docs I think you have just the main 11/24
          console emulator and diagnostic ROM, a later version with ascii console
          emulator routines and diagnostics for the 11/24.

          If you check Appendix E section E.2 of EK-M9312-TM-003 (manual # for the
          M9314), appendix E has a cross reference table that you can use to determine
          from the part number and some memory testing which device this ROM was made
          for. Problem is that your ROM is for a device that is newer than the
          original M9314 doc was created, like a hard drive or DEC Professional Series
          diskette drive. It's not going to be easy without the update/addendum
          published for EK-M9312-TM-003, you'll only be able to determine which ROM
          it's *NOT* otherwise.

          You may need to put this card with ROM in a working older system like a
          11/40 that has a front panel to determine the ROM contents. I am pretty
          serious about bringing my 11/40 to the August workshop this time, if with
          help I can get it running we can use it to check the ROM, I will bring a
          M9312 just in case.

          Have fun.

          Bill
        • Christian R. Fandt
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 14, 2013
            At 11:34 AM 7/14/2013, B Degnan wrote:

            There was a diagnostic ROM on that 9312 boot module in my machine numbered
            23-774F1 of which I asked the C'Cmp list about. Back then I could not find
            anything at all on that part, i.e., what diags it did, other functions,etc.

            <snip>

            The fellow who'd contacted me has an 11/24 with that PROM and is looking for
            the same info I once had been.

            So, I'm asking here if there is anyone who may have knowledge of this device
            in any way (actual part, source listing, etc.)?

            -----------------

            Chris:

            Short answer - It's probably a newer ROM that is not in many M9312 docs, you
            need to find the addendum to the orig doc, or a relatively rare article/doc
            that talks about using an older ROM card in a newer 11/24 system. This
            would not have been a typical coupling in the early-mid 80's

            Hi Bill,

            Could be a newer PROM than the EK-M9312-TM-003 will list, which is likely the latest revision given there's no -004 as far as I can see. The 23-774F1 PROM is most likely contemporary to the 11/24 system during its production in the early 80s.

[...]

            I've got just the -001 rev in print. Plus the Field Maintenance Print Set MP00617, both tucked away safely in the library upstairs. Somewhere online I'm sure there's a -003 rev in PDF, just haven't looked yet. (I think you really meant '9312' as there is no such module as a 9314 :-) )

            You may need to put this card with ROM in a working older system like a
            11/40 that has a front panel to determine the ROM contents. I am pretty
            serious about bringing my 11/40 to the August workshop this time, if with
            help I can get it running we can use it to check the ROM, I will bring a
            M9312 just in case.

            As I said I got shed of the 11/24 around a dozen years ago. I'll pass your comments on to the other person who's got an 11/24 with the subject 23-774F1 PROM.

            Maybe one of the other PDP mavens around here has an 11/24 or perhaps a pile of loose PROMs which may include a 23-774F1 (hope, hope, hope! :-)  )

            Have fun.

            Always do when I'm able to play with my 'toys'. If not, then I find something else around here with which to have fun. But in recent years, I've had little time to do that. I do antique car radio and home radio repair and restorations on the side, plus have a full time job in the engineering dept of an unnamed major independent diesel engine manufacturer who has a plant nearby.

            Thanks for your input Bill!

                            http://www.antiquewireless.org/pdf/musnews1012.pdf
                            http://www.antiquewirelessmuseum.com  (Upcoming Museum - Grand Opening August 2013!)