Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: An IMSAI crime has been committed!

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
      "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

      >>> The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter.
      >
      >...Or the one who gutted an IBM 082 card sorter, circa 1948, and used it as a bar in his house before we rescued it. :(

      IBM - International Bar Machines! :)

    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2013

        > >> The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter.
        >
        > ...Or the one who gutted an IBM 082 card sorter, circa 1948, and used it as a bar in his house before we rescued it. :(

        I think the fallout from this discussion, is that some vintage computer parts sometimes get salvaged for metals or non-computer use, before they become available as useful parts for restoration and repair. This has happened for decades. Mid-1970's microcomputer owners used salvaged minicomputer parts and assemblies. They still do today.

        Regarding the IMSAI front-panel, it has useful parts and will be sold for parts. That's not a "crime", that's a positive outcome for an otherwise scraped circuit board. It's fun to point at it, but repair work is not always pretty.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com