Re: An IMSAI crime has been committed!

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013

      > Ebay auction
      > 281132687997
      >
      > See what's missing here?
      >
      > Bill

      It's only missing the S-100 bus connector, the metal rail that holds the bottom of all the switches, a couple of jumpers as per the latest ECO's and one of the blue plastic switch handle for A15. I wonder who ate the S100 connector? looks to be snapped off.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
        > It's only missing the S-100 bus connector, the metal rail that holds the
        bottom of all the switches, a couple of jumpers as per the latest ECO's and
        one of the blue plastic switch handle for A15. I wonder who ate the S100
        connector? looks to be snapped off.

        Yes, it looks like some idiot sliced off the metal pins that connect to the
        bus. duh!
      • Systems Glitch
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
          > Yes, it looks like some idiot sliced off the metal pins that connect to the
          > bus. duh!

          The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter. At least the rev 0 KIM-1s weren't in that storage area...

          Thanks,
          Jonathan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013
            >> The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter.

            ...Or the one who gutted an IBM 082 card sorter, circa 1948, and used it as a bar in his house before we rescued it. :(
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 8, 2013

              > Yes, it looks like some idiot sliced off the metal pins that connect to the
              > bus. duh!

              A good rule of thumb, Never cut off a BUS. This rule works in traffic too.

              :)J
            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9, 2013
                "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                >>> The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter.
                >
                >...Or the one who gutted an IBM 082 card sorter, circa 1948, and used it as a bar in his house before we rescued it. :(

                IBM - International Bar Machines! :)

              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 13, 2013

                  > >> The same kind of gold fever nitwit that cut up my HP paper tape reader and Nixie tube frequency counter.
                  >
                  > ...Or the one who gutted an IBM 082 card sorter, circa 1948, and used it as a bar in his house before we rescued it. :(

                  I think the fallout from this discussion, is that some vintage computer parts sometimes get salvaged for metals or non-computer use, before they become available as useful parts for restoration and repair. This has happened for decades. Mid-1970's microcomputer owners used salvaged minicomputer parts and assemblies. They still do today.

                  Regarding the IMSAI front-panel, it has useful parts and will be sold for parts. That's not a "crime", that's a positive outcome for an otherwise scraped circuit board. It's fun to point at it, but repair work is not always pretty.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com