Full disk copy program for CP/M

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
      All --

      Does anyone remember the name (or part of a name) of any full-disk copy programs for CP/M? I'm looking for something that does both the system tracks and the user area as I'm trying to eliminate the two-step process of making backups of my new system disks. I've been browsing the Walnut Creek CD but nothing is immediately jumping out at me as doing this. I'm sure there's one there but it's like a needle in a haystack.

      Thanks!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
        superzap?

        > Does anyone remember the name (or part of a name) of any full-disk copy
        > programs for CP/M? I'm looking for something that does both the system
        > tracks and the user area as I'm trying to eliminate the two-step process
        of
        > making backups of my new system disks. I've been browsing the Walnut
        Creek
        > CD but nothing is immediately jumping out at me as doing this. I'm sure
        > there's one there but it's like a needle in a haystack.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rich
        >
        > --
        > Rich Cini
        > Collector of Classic Computers
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
        > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
          On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Richard Cini wrote:

          > Does anyone remember the name (or part of a name) of any full-disk copy
          > programs for CP/M? I'm looking for something that does both the system
          > tracks and the user area as I'm trying to eliminate the two-step process of
          > making backups of my new system disks. I've been browsing the Walnut Creek
          > CD but nothing is immediately jumping out at me as doing this. I'm sure
          > there's one there but it's like a needle in a haystack.

          On Montezuma Micro CP/M for the TRS-80, there's a program called DUP
          (Disk Utility Program) that will do the job. I suspect it will only run
          on MMCPM, though.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Richard Cini
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2013
            Thanks Mike. I recall seeing that on the WC_CDROM index. I'll look into it.

            Rich

            From: Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>
            Date: Saturday, July 6, 2013 7:43 PM
            To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Full disk copy program for CP/M

            On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Richard Cini wrote:

            > Does anyone remember the name (or part of a name) of any full-disk copy
            > programs for CP/M? I'm looking for something that does both the system
            > tracks and the user area as I'm trying to eliminate the two-step process of
            > making backups of my new system disks. I've been browsing the Walnut Creek
            > CD but nothing is immediately jumping out at me as doing this. I'm sure
            > there's one there but it's like a needle in a haystack.

            On Montezuma Micro CP/M for the TRS-80, there's a program called DUP
            (Disk Utility Program) that will do the job. I suspect it will only run
            on MMCPM, though.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...

          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013

              I think these programs tend to be controller specific, especially to get system tracks that might be formatted differently from the rest of the disk.  I know Cromemco does this.

              Bill S.

                            Does anyone remember the name (or part of a name) of any full-disk copy programs for CP/M? I'm looking for something that does both the system tracks and the user area as I'm trying to eliminate the two-step process of making backups of my new system disks. I've been browsing the Walnut Creek CD but nothing is immediately jumping out at me as doing this. I'm sure there's one there but it's like a needle in a haystack.

                            Thanks!

              Rich

              --

              Rich Cini

              Collector of Classic Computers

              No virus found in this message.
              Internal Virus Database is out of date.

            • Richard Cini
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2013
                Thanks Bill. I did find three programs, all of which seem to use BDOS calls to work their magic. I've compiled all of them and I'll give them a try and report back.

                Rich

                From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                Date: Sunday, July 7, 2013 9:18 AM
                To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>