New England trip report part 1

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
      Jeff B. and I set out from NJ early this morning. We arrived at the Rhode Island computer museum at 11am. Spent about two hours there.

      They have much more big iron than we do, but we're ahead in micros and homebrew-era systems. :) They very kindly gave us some gifts -- a few boxes of books and magazines, plus a very clean Apple ///+ in its original box. (We have two first-gen Apple /// systems, but they're both ugly, and this is our first ///+.)

      Kudos to the RICM for their hospitality. I hope they'll visit our museum in turn.

      Next stop: You-Do-It Electronics, in suburban Boston.
    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
        Did you see my DEC 11/34?

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
          > Jeff B. and I set out from NJ early this morning. We arrived at the Rhode
          Island computer museum at 11am. Spent about two hours there.

          > They have much more big iron than we do, but we're ahead in micros and
          homebrew-era systems. :) They very kindly gave us some gifts -- a few
          boxes of books and magazines, plus a very clean Apple ///+ in its original
          box. (We have two first-gen Apple /// systems, but they're both ugly, and
          this is our first ///+.)

          > Kudos to the RICM for their hospitality. I hope they'll visit our museum
          in turn.

          > Next stop: You-Do-It Electronics, in suburban Boston.

          Do you have pictures? I have seen their site, but I'd be curious to see
          what if any photos you have. Do they have any interesting ideas in
          exhibits? Layout for the museum, etc?..

          bd
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
            >> Do you have pictures?

            Lots! Jeff will post another time.

            >> Do they have any interesting ideas in exhibits? Layout for the museum, etc?..

            Not particularly. Most of their stuff is warehouse-style.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
              On 07/05/2013 02:09 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
              > Did you see my DEC 11/34?
              >
              > http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/pdp-11-34a

              Nice looking 11/34. I don't see that bezel type very often.

              I really wish those guys would learn how to write decent HTML. ;)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Cory Smelosky
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                On Fri, 6 Jul 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

                > On 07/05/2013 02:09 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
                >> Did you see my DEC 11/34?
                >>
                >> http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/pdp-11-34a
                >
                > Nice looking 11/34. I don't see that bezel type very often.
                >
                > I really wish those guys would learn how to write decent HTML. ;)

                They should hire my friend that can still write HTML2!

                --
                Cory Smelosky
                http://gewt.net Personal stuff
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
                  Be nice, Google Sites is writing the HTML.

                  --
                  Michael Thompson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
                    >> Be nice...

                    As I stated, my comments were not meant as critiques. We truly enjoyed our visits to RICM and RCS, we definitely think other MARCHins should go visit, and we can learn plenty from both RI groups. Nothing but good karma, I promise! :)

                    In response to Dan's question, I explained that we have a more traditional definition of "museum", a wider overall collection scope, and a bigger focus on public outreach.

                    It's simply an observation. Strenghts / weaknesses of all groups. We like you guys.
                  • Michael Thompson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                      A little background on the RICM. We used to have nice display space in the Shady Lea Mill, a 200+ year old mill in North Kingstown. We were one of the first groups to rent space in the building as it was being converted into studios. Artists discovered the mill and soon filled it. Our rent went up and we had no place to store our growing collection. We had about 15 storage lockers filled with equipment, which is not the best place to store electronics. We decided that having a single location for the whole collection was better than having a nice display space. We found 5,000 sq/ft inexpensive warehouse space and relocated. At least everything is in one location now and is accessible.

                      I agree that the display area is not very pretty and should be improved. We are working on that and would welcome suggestions.

                      Warren and I are doing most of the restoration work. We both like older DEC equipment and have revived a PDP-8/S, PDP-8/L, PDP-8/I and are now working on a PDP-9. (We tried to demonstrate the PDP-9 when Evan and Jeff visited, but it refused to run. We fixed it the next day.) A few years ago I got Rich's 11/34A running and added an RL02 disk to it. I also assembled an 11/44 system, but have not gotten the RA81 disks to work yet. So many big iron systems to work on...

                      We would welcome a small system enthusiast who would get our large collection of small systems running and demonstrable. Since this is a volunteer group what gets fixed depends on who will volunteer to do the work. No one has stepped up to the task yet. If you know of anyone who would like to help with this, please let us know.

                      Our funding is very limited and most of the available funds go towards rent. It would be nice to spend a little making the display area look nice, but we just don't have the funds.

                      We could also use volunteers for IBM mini, Data General mini, and Wang mini restoration. Recommendations appreciated.

                      Dan and Harlan have been doing Community Outreach work introducing kits to programming with MIT's SCRATCH language. That has been extremely well received. They are expanding that program by building Arduino kits and controlling them with SCRATCH. It would be nice to have the classes in our facility, but as Evan pointed out, our space is not very pretty.

                      So, in summary, an infusion of volunteers and cash would help us grow and make the collection a lot more presentable.

                      --
                      Michael Thompson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                        On 07/06/2013 08:11 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
                        > Be nice, Google Sites is writing the HTML.

                        No offense or disrespect intended...'tis just a fact Google Sites is
                        writing *bad* HTML. :-(

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ