RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      Dave McGuire wrote:
      > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
      > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
      >
      > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
      > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
      > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
      > > be in a box around here somewhere.
      >
      > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
      > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
      > neat chip.

      Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
      the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
      around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
      I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
      find that and finish it.

      Bill S.
    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
        The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers

        From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
        Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
        To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
          Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
          TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
          what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
          bd

          > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
          anyone
          > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
          >
          > Rich
          >
          > --
          > Rich Cini
          > Collector of Classic Computers
          > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
          > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
          >

          > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
          > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
          > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
          <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
          >

          > Dave McGuire wrote:
          > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
          > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
          > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
          > >
          > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
          > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
          particular.
          > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
          must
          > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
          > >
          > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
          > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
          > > neat chip.
          >
          > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
          > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
          > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
          > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
          > find that and finish it.
          >
          > Bill S.
        • Richard Cini
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
            I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

            Rich

            From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
            Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
            To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

            Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
            TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
            what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
            bd

            > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
            anyone
            > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
            >
            > Rich
            >
            > --
            > Rich Cini
            > Collector of Classic Computers
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
            >

            > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
            > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
            > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
            <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
            >

            > Dave McGuire wrote:
            > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
            > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
            > >
            > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
            > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
            particular.
            > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
            must
            > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
            > >
            > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
            > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
            > > neat chip.
            >
            > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
            > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
            > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
            > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
            > find that and finish it.
            >
            > Bill S.

          • Richard Cini
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
              All --

              Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

              Rich

              From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
              Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
              To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>