Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
      > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or
      > three parts?) about
      >
      > sprite programming and that chip in particular. I started to interface
      > one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must be in a box around here somewhere.

      Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a bus
      interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really neat
      chip.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
        Dave McGuire wrote:
        > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
        > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
        >
        > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
        > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
        > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
        > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
        > > be in a box around here somewhere.
        >
        > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
        > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
        > neat chip.

        Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
        the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
        around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
        I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
        find that and finish it.

        Bill S.
      • Richard Cini
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
          The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

          Rich

          --
          Rich Cini
          Collector of Classic Computers

          From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
          Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
          To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
            Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
            TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
            what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
            bd

            > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
            anyone
            > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
            >
            > Rich
            >
            > --
            > Rich Cini
            > Collector of Classic Computers
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
            > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
            >

            > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
            > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
            > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
            <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
            >

            > Dave McGuire wrote:
            > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
            > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
            > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
            > >
            > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
            > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
            particular.
            > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
            must
            > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
            > >
            > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
            > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
            > > neat chip.
            >
            > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
            > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
            > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
            > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
            > find that and finish it.
            >
            > Bill S.
          • Richard Cini
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
              I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

              Rich

              From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
              Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
              To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

              Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
              TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
              what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
              bd

              > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
              anyone
              > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
              >
              > Rich
              >
              > --
              > Rich Cini
              > Collector of Classic Computers
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
              >

              > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
              > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
              > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
              <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
              >

              > Dave McGuire wrote:
              > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
              > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
              > >
              > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
              > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
              particular.
              > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
              must
              > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
              > >
              > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
              > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
              > > neat chip.
              >
              > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
              > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
              > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
              > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
              > find that and finish it.
              >
              > Bill S.

            • Richard Cini
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                All --

                Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

                Rich

                From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>