RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

  • Bill Sudbrink
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

      I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or three parts?) about

      sprite programming and that chip in particular.  I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never

      finished.  It must be in a box around here somewhere.

      Bill S.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
        On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
        > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or
        > three parts?) about
        >
        > sprite programming and that chip in particular. I started to interface
        > one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must be in a box around here somewhere.

        Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a bus
        interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really neat
        chip.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
          Dave McGuire wrote:
          > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
          > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
          >
          > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
          > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
          > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
          > > be in a box around here somewhere.
          >
          > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
          > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
          > neat chip.

          Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
          the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
          around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
          I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
          find that and finish it.

          Bill S.
        • Richard Cini
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
            The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

            Rich

            From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
            Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
            To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
              Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
              TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
              what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
              bd

              > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
              anyone
              > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
              >
              > Rich
              >
              > --
              > Rich Cini
              > Collector of Classic Computers
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
              > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
              >

              > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
              > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
              > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
              <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
              >

              > Dave McGuire wrote:
              > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
              > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
              > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
              > >
              > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
              > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
              particular.
              > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
              must
              > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
              > >
              > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
              > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
              > > neat chip.
              >
              > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
              > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
              > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
              > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
              > find that and finish it.
              >
              > Bill S.
            • Richard Cini
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

                Rich

                From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                bd

                > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                anyone
                > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                >
                > Rich
                >
                > --
                > Rich Cini
                > Collector of Classic Computers
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                >

                > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                >

                > Dave McGuire wrote:
                > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                > >
                > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                particular.
                > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                must
                > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                > >
                > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                > > neat chip.
                >
                > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                > find that and finish it.
                >
                > Bill S.

              • Richard Cini
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                  All --

                  Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

                  Rich

                  From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                  Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                  To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>