Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      Dave --

      I definitely will be doing that. Since it was a pre-made sub-board I
      thought I might find a schematic somewhere, but I haven't. Pen and paper
      to the rescue!

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      On 7/4/13 8:16 PM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

      >On 07/04/2013 01:28 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
      >> Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I
      >> had ‹ 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a
      >> TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's
      >> about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty
      >> socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech
      >> #9783-0100-01".
      >>
      >> Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a
      >> 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired
      >> it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks
      >> interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card
      >> itself so I don't know what its original use was.
      >
      > Sounds like a fun little "sprite board". Can you suss out the address
      >and/or I/O mapping? After that, it should be pretty easy to get going.
      > The TMS9918 is damn near trivial to get video out of. Fun!
      >
      > -Dave
      >
      >--
      >Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      >New Kensington, PA

    • Bill Sudbrink
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

        I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or three parts?) about

        sprite programming and that chip in particular.  I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never

        finished.  It must be in a box around here somewhere.

        Bill S.

                      Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech #9783-0100-01".

                      Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card itself so I don't know what its original use was.

        Rich

        --

        Rich Cini

        Collector of Classic Computers

        No virus found in this message.
        Internal Virus Database is out of date.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
          On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
          > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or
          > three parts?) about
          >
          > sprite programming and that chip in particular. I started to interface
          > one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must be in a box around here somewhere.

          Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a bus
          interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really neat
          chip.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
            Dave McGuire wrote:
            > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
            >
            > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
            > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
            > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
            > > be in a box around here somewhere.
            >
            > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
            > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
            > neat chip.

            Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
            the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
            around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
            I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
            find that and finish it.

            Bill S.
          • Richard Cini
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
              The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

              Rich

              From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
              Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
              To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
              Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                bd

                > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                anyone
                > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                >
                > Rich
                >
                > --
                > Rich Cini
                > Collector of Classic Computers
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                >

                > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                >

                > Dave McGuire wrote:
                > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                > >
                > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                particular.
                > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                must
                > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                > >
                > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                > > neat chip.
                >
                > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                > find that and finish it.
                >
                > Bill S.
              • Richard Cini
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                  I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

                  Rich

                  From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                  Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                  To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                  Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                  TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                  what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                  bd

                  > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                  anyone
                  > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                  >
                  > Rich
                  >
                  > --
                  > Rich Cini
                  > Collector of Classic Computers
                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                  >

                  > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                  > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                  > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                  <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                  >

                  > Dave McGuire wrote:
                  > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                  > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                  > >
                  > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                  > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                  particular.
                  > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                  must
                  > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                  > >
                  > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                  > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                  > > neat chip.
                  >
                  > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                  > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                  > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                  > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                  > find that and finish it.
                  >
                  > Bill S.

                • Richard Cini
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                    All --

                    Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

                    Rich

                    From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                    Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                    To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>