Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      On 07/04/2013 01:28 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
      > Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I
      > had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a
      > TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's
      > about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty
      > socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech
      > #9783-0100-01".
      >
      > Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a
      > 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired
      > it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks
      > interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card
      > itself so I don't know what its original use was.

      Sounds like a fun little "sprite board". Can you suss out the address
      and/or I/O mapping? After that, it should be pretty easy to get going.
      The TMS9918 is damn near trivial to get video out of. Fun!

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • Richard Cini
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
        Dave --

        I definitely will be doing that. Since it was a pre-made sub-board I
        thought I might find a schematic somewhere, but I haven't. Pen and paper
        to the rescue!

        Rich

        --
        Rich Cini
        Collector of Classic Computers

        On 7/4/13 8:16 PM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

        >On 07/04/2013 01:28 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
        >> Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I
        >> had ‹ 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a
        >> TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's
        >> about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty
        >> socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech
        >> #9783-0100-01".
        >>
        >> Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a
        >> 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired
        >> it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks
        >> interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card
        >> itself so I don't know what its original use was.
        >
        > Sounds like a fun little "sprite board". Can you suss out the address
        >and/or I/O mapping? After that, it should be pretty easy to get going.
        > The TMS9918 is damn near trivial to get video out of. Fun!
        >
        > -Dave
        >
        >--
        >Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        >New Kensington, PA

      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

          I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or three parts?) about

          sprite programming and that chip in particular.  I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never

          finished.  It must be in a box around here somewhere.

          Bill S.

                        Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech #9783-0100-01".

                        Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card itself so I don't know what its original use was.

          Rich

          --

          Rich Cini

          Collector of Classic Computers

          No virus found in this message.
          Internal Virus Database is out of date.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
            On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
            > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or
            > three parts?) about
            >
            > sprite programming and that chip in particular. I started to interface
            > one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must be in a box around here somewhere.

            Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a bus
            interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really neat
            chip.

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Bill Sudbrink
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
              Dave McGuire wrote:
              > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
              > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
              >
              > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
              > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
              > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
              > > be in a box around here somewhere.
              >
              > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
              > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
              > neat chip.

              Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
              the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
              around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
              I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
              find that and finish it.

              Bill S.
            • Richard Cini
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

                Rich

                From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                  Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                  TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                  what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                  bd

                  > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                  anyone
                  > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                  >
                  > Rich
                  >
                  > --
                  > Rich Cini
                  > Collector of Classic Computers
                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                  > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                  >

                  > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                  > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                  > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                  <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                  >

                  > Dave McGuire wrote:
                  > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                  > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                  > >
                  > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                  > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                  > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                  particular.
                  > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                  must
                  > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                  > >
                  > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                  > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                  > > neat chip.
                  >
                  > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                  > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                  > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                  > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                  > find that and finish it.
                  >
                  > Bill S.
                • Richard Cini
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                    I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

                    Rich

                    From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                    Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                    To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                    Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                    TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                    what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                    bd

                    > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                    anyone
                    > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                    >
                    > Rich
                    >
                    > --
                    > Rich Cini
                    > Collector of Classic Computers
                    > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                    > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                    >

                    > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                    > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                    > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                    <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                    >

                    > Dave McGuire wrote:
                    > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                    > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                    > >
                    > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                    > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                    particular.
                    > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                    must
                    > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                    > >
                    > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                    > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                    > > neat chip.
                    >
                    > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                    > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                    > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                    > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                    > find that and finish it.
                    >
                    > Bill S.

                  • Richard Cini
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                      All --

                      Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

                      Rich

                      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                      Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                      To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>