Odd-ball S100 card I found

  • Richard Cini
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
      All --

      Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech #9783-0100-01".

      Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card itself so I don't know what its original use was.

      Rich

      --
      Rich Cini
      Collector of Classic Computers

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
        On 07/04/2013 01:28 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
        > Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I
        > had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a
        > TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's
        > about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty
        > socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech
        > #9783-0100-01".
        >
        > Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a
        > 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired
        > it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks
        > interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card
        > itself so I don't know what its original use was.

        Sounds like a fun little "sprite board". Can you suss out the address
        and/or I/O mapping? After that, it should be pretty easy to get going.
        The TMS9918 is damn near trivial to get video out of. Fun!

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Richard Cini
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
          Dave --

          I definitely will be doing that. Since it was a pre-made sub-board I
          thought I might find a schematic somewhere, but I haven't. Pen and paper
          to the rescue!

          Rich

          --
          http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
          http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32

          On 7/4/13 8:16 PM, "Dave McGuire" <Mcguire@...> wrote:

          >On 07/04/2013 01:28 PM, Richard Cini wrote:
          >> Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I
          >> had ‹ 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a
          >> TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's
          >> about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty
          >> socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech
          >> #9783-0100-01".
          >>
          >> Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a
          >> 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired
          >> it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks
          >> interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card
          >> itself so I don't know what its original use was.
          >
          > Sounds like a fun little "sprite board". Can you suss out the address
          >and/or I/O mapping? After that, it should be pretty easy to get going.
          > The TMS9918 is damn near trivial to get video out of. Fun!
          >
          > -Dave
          >
          >--
          >Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          >New Kensington, PA

        • Bill Sudbrink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013

            I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or three parts?) about

            sprite programming and that chip in particular.  I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never

            finished.  It must be in a box around here somewhere.

            Bill S.

                          Today I inventoried all of my S100 cards. I didn't realize how many I had — 68. Anyway, I found an odd-ball homebrew graphics card using a TMS9918 graphics chip. The chip resides on a small daughter board that's about 3"x4" that contains the TMS9918, an inverter, RAM, a 24-pin empty socket and a dual-row header. On the board is the following: "GraphTech #9783-0100-01".

                          Basically, someone took a prototyping card with TTL buffers/glue, cut a 3"x4" hole in it, mounted this daughter card in the hole, and then wired it to the prototyping card. I haven't probed around it yet, but it looks interesting. I haven't found any data on the GraphTech daughter card itself so I don't know what its original use was.

            Rich

            --

            Rich Cini

            Collector of Classic Computers

            No virus found in this message.
            Internal Virus Database is out of date.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
              On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
              > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two or
              > three parts?) about
              >
              > sprite programming and that chip in particular. I started to interface
              > one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must be in a box around here somewhere.

              Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a bus
              interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really neat
              chip.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Bill Sudbrink
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 4, 2013
                Dave McGuire wrote:
                > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                >
                > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in particular.
                > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It must
                > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                >
                > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                > neat chip.

                Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                find that and finish it.

                Bill S.
              • Richard Cini
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                  The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if anyone wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.

                  Rich

                  From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                  Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                  To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                    Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                    TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                    what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                    bd

                    > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                    anyone
                    > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                    >
                    > Rich
                    >
                    > --
                    > Rich Cini
                    > Collector of Classic Computers
                    > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                    > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                    >

                    > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                    > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                    > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                    <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                    >

                    > Dave McGuire wrote:
                    > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                    > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                    > >
                    > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                    > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                    > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                    particular.
                    > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                    must
                    > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                    > >
                    > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                    > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                    > > neat chip.
                    >
                    > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                    > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                    > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                    > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                    > find that and finish it.
                    >
                    > Bill S.
                  • Richard Cini
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 5, 2013
                      I would have to re-read it. There's a link to the article at the bottom of my N8VEM page:

                      Rich

                      From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                      Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                      To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                      Did not read the article so I am not sure if they mention it there...but
                      TMS9918 was the video chip of the MSX standard. Gives you a feeling for
                      what graphically you could have done with this (sprites in particular)
                      bd

                      > The article appeared in BYTE in August 1982. I have a scan of it if
                      anyone
                      > wants it. I just need to find out ports/addresses and I'm good to go.
                      >
                      > Rich
                      >
                      > --
                      > Rich Cini
                      > Collector of Classic Computers
                      > http://www.classiccmp.org/cini
                      > http://www.classiccmp.org/altair32
                      >

                      > From: Bill Sudbrink <wh.sudbrink@...>
                      > Date: Thursday, July 4, 2013 10:55 PM
                      > To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com"
                      <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: RE: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                      >

                      > Dave McGuire wrote:
                      > > Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:48 PM
                      > > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Odd-ball S100 card I found
                      > >
                      > > On 07/04/2013 10:42 PM, Bill Sudbrink wrote:
                      > > > I seem to remember Steve Ciarcia doing an article in Byte (maybe two
                      > > > or three parts?) about sprite programming and that chip in
                      particular.
                      > > > I started to interface one to my OSI C1P but never finished. It
                      must
                      > > > be in a box around here somewhere.
                      > >
                      > > Yes, he put one on an Apple ][ board. It was little other than a
                      > > bus interface, the TMS9918, eight DRAMs, and an RCA connector. Really
                      > > neat chip.
                      >
                      > Yes! That's right. That's why I thought I could hook it up to
                      > the C1P. Both have 6502s. Unfortunately, college got very busy
                      > around then and by the time I came up for air, I had a Sanyo MBC555.
                      > I didn't "go classic" until about 12 years later. I really ought to
                      > find that and finish it.
                      >
                      > Bill S.

                    • Richard Cini
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2013
                        All --

                        Closing the loop on this, I was able to get this card working this morning. Last night I did some probing to locate the I/O ports and then used a test program from the N8VEM project (they have a sprite graphics board with a 9918 and AY-3-8912). It works great! So, I'm going to add it to my IMSAI and see if I can get some games for it.

                        Rich

                        From: B Degnan <billdeg@...>
                        Date: Friday, July 5, 2013 9:21 AM
                        To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>